· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Problem, Have A Gift Yourself! :) - MCHRKiller   You like horses and kids movies you must be a kindred spirit - Owlbehere   Anotherone for a great tank - Cliff   It goes round and round and round...  : ) - gadget228   It's a Thanksgiving bunny. - gadget228   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - AmyLynn   

Default What the heck is wrong with my sagittaria?

0 Not allowed!
    My sagittaria chilensis have to be the WORST looking plants in my tank right now. I have leaves that are melting and rotting, transparent spots, holes and brownish yellow leaves. They are ugly! When I bought them they were sold as easy plants with low to medium light requirements. When I look on plant geek they say they have higher light requirements. Which is right? Is that the reason they look so bad?

Pics for reference:

75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta
    Lack of planning on your part doesn't justify an emergency on my part.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish for your thoughtful posts!  Brain food! - Rue   Another Betta for your AC tank - Cliff   thanks for plant link - Lady Hobbs   good luck with your geckos! - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    I have a broad leaf sagittaria (sagittaria platyphylla) in my tank and have been getting pretty similar results. I'm running two 10 watt 6700K bulbs from walmart on my 10 gal. tank and most of my other plants have been doing pretty decent except this and my argentine sword that will get some brown leaves here and there. I'm also dosing flourish excel 3x a week and flourish 1x a week. Most of my original leaves on it have been trimmed off, but some (not all) of its new leaves are actually looking pretty good and if it stays this way, I'm hoping it will fill out and look nice like it used to. It may be adjusting to new water parameters yet that it's not used to; I've heard some plants will lose all of their leaves and grow new ones in cases like that. I'd say give it some time; as long as the root structure remains healthy and the plant is putting out new leaves it should hopefully get used to your water. That being said, it may be your lights after all or simply a nutrient deficiency, though your other plants in there are looking good. What lights are you running and what, if any, ferts and/or co2 are you putting in?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Problem, Have A Gift Yourself! :) - MCHRKiller   You like horses and kids movies you must be a kindred spirit - Owlbehere   Anotherone for a great tank - Cliff   It goes round and round and round...  : ) - gadget228   It's a Thanksgiving bunny. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Even the new leaves look bad though.

Twice a week dosing of Flourish: Trace, Comp, Nitrogen, Iron and excel. Everything else, including the jungle Vals are looking good. Well, except the anubias, but they're coming back. I think they got startled with the higher light.

Lights are Current t5ho 108 watts total freshwater setup. One bulb is a 54w 10000K and the other is current's slimpaq freshwater bulb. Supposed to be great for plants and I think I've seen a couple of sights refer to it as 6700K.

I'm about ready to pull the damn things out and replace them with something else. I can't believe the vals look better than the sags.

ETA: The substrate in the tank is black flourite.
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    I would guess you need to add potassium and probably some phosphate. It is a lack of some nutrient. I would guess potassium.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If I dose phos aren't I at risk of encouraging the algae that i finally got rid of?
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I know this is a double post, but it's too late to edit the previous.

In reading a bit more online about fertilizer dosing and deficiencies. Could this still be a sign of iron deficiency??? I haven't been dosing the iron as long or as consistently as the others. I started because it was pointed out somewhere else that low iron could be the reason anubias can struggle. Maybe I need to stay more consistent with my iron dosing.

Although I still have potassium on the Drs F&S list.
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the articles to combat algae :) - Gemini   For the great article! - dragoonwoman   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyLynn

In reading a bit more online about fertilizer dosing and deficiencies. Could this still be a sign of iron deficiency??? I haven't been dosing the iron as long or as consistently as the others. I started because it was pointed out somewhere else that low iron could be the reason anubias can struggle. Maybe I need to stay more consistent with my iron dosing.

What size is your tank?

If I could see a full picture of your tank, that would be helpful.

Grasses generally require around 3 watts per gallon of light and need Co2.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyLynn

It could be. It is all about balance. The plants need potassium to process nitrates better, they need phosphate to process the nitrate and the potassium. Phosphates do not cause algae imbalances of nutrients cause algae. You could try root tabs. That may do the trick.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Man
    What size is your tank?

If I could see a full picture of your tank, that would be helpful.

Grasses generally require around 3 watts per gallon of light and need Co2.
    Only the one site said they have higher light requirements. Everything else says low to med/high. Right now I'm running around 2 wpg so I'm thinking that's not the problem.

I did find this on aquabotanic.... "Yellowing leaves is a sign of insufficient iron or nitrogen, (or both). A fertilizer tablet containing nitrogen pushed into the gravel is very effective particularly in aquariums less than two years old that have not yet matured. Iron can also be added either to the water or the substrate along with other trace minerals."

Thinking I'm going to get the potassium that Rich suggested and another bottle of iron.
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta