· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For another washingtonian! - Jacko   

Default Ideas for a new layout?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all, I was thinking about re-doing my fish tank because my current layout is getting a little boring and tiring always having to panic and search for fishes when I can't see them in the house.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do? My current layout is 2 large plants and a smaller one on the left side of the tank. The house is a WWII sunken carrier (you can find it on Petco.com) on the right. Ask for pictures if needed.

I was thinking of a cool idea like... A big house and small plants around... Or if you have any ideas for a cheap price please tell me!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    houses IME i've found to be somewhat of death traps, why not get some slate or a stackable rock and make a few little caves? could you post a pic to give more of a visual?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Check out the section of the forum for tank journals ( link below ). You can check out pics of what other members have done and find something that you like or ideas for your tank.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...play.php?f=113
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Welcome to the site! - Aeonflame   Best of luck with the plants! - MCHRKiller   Thanks for the help! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    I always liked it when people did the open front/middle tank space and plants on the edges and back round for them to hide in and what not.

I agree on the little fish tank houses. I had a betta get lodged in my sandstone castle ornament,in a window opening and he died.

Had a betta get his dorsal fin tangled in roots in one of those silly peace lily vase setups solely for betta fish,and he couldn't get up to gulp air and he died much to my dismay.

Got to be soooo careful.
    50g hex mixed com,30g parrot,5g ACF,16g bow planted. More to come!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For another washingtonian! - Jacko   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vita1989
    houses IME i've found to be somewhat of death traps, why not get some slate or a stackable rock and make a few little caves? could you post a pic to give more of a visual?
    Yeah sure heres a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC tank! - Northernguy   Thanks for the help! And yes I have a gf lol - robflanker   Thanks! - Brookfish   Thank you for your service to our Nation! - Jill   you won! - Amazon   

0 Not allowed!
    Here are a couple of shots of my main tank. I have found that breaking up the decorations (driftwood, rocks, ect) with small plants in front and around them helps create a more natural look. See pic 2 for a close up of what I mean with the driftwood.

I agree on the resin decorations being potential deathtraps. They can look good, but can have sharp edges or spots that fish can't turn around properly and get stuck.

All forms of humor have been removed from my signature for your safety.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Welcome to the site! - Aeonflame   Best of luck with the plants! - MCHRKiller   Thanks for the help! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Cristoff that is a jaw dropping beautifully set up tank.

Very very nice.

Is that a cherry wood finish? Man to my eyes that makes tanks look fabulous.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC tank! - Northernguy   Thanks for the help! And yes I have a gf lol - robflanker   Thanks! - Brookfish   Thank you for your service to our Nation! - Jill   you won! - Amazon   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Heather!

I actually bought the stand unfinished and did it myself.

It is Minwax "Bombay Mahogany"

I did a journal on it a while back, but it seemed to fade away quickly...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristoff
    Thanks Heather!

I actually bought the stand unfinished and did it myself.

It is Minwax "Bombay Mahogany"

I did a journal on it a while back, but it seemed to fade away quickly...
    I'm even more impressed now.

You have a similar tank to my 16g,with the black silicone seals. I think that looks so much more impressive than all of my clear ones.

I'm jealous.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Monkey:

If you want to keep the ship, my recommendation would be to move the tall plants back to the back corners, get 1-2 mid sized plants to go in the back between the tall ones, and get some small ones to place around the front of the ship. It would add "depth' to the tank, which from what you are saying is the element that seems to be missing.

Heather:

Thanks for the compliments!

The wall that it is on is 13' long so the plan is to get a second identical 135 gallon tank and place it side by side with the same base, black background, and black substrate. Then I'll have a "faux" 12' tank at about 1/10th the price of a custom setup.
    Last edited by Cristoff; 04-10-2010 at 07:17 PM.