· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherH
    I'm sorry I forgot to answer you!

My tap water untreated when I tested it has right at 1ppm-1.5ppm ammonia and it has (not quite) 5ppm nitrates,too (fortunately,no nitrites!). I use Start Right conditioner and it brings the ammonia to 0ppm. My pH is around 7.8,don't have a test kit for the other part of the hardness aspect,but my water is liquid limestone. Get a glass of water from the tap,drink it,and you can see the hard water stains. It's gross. We can't keep shiny faucets here for more than a day. lol

The Start Right neutralizes the ammonia showing up immediately (retested water again as I type all of this) thank goodness.

This is why I don't want german blue rams. I have crappy tap water,I need hardy healthy robust fish. GBRs love soft water,I really don't want to mess with the chemistry of the water to make it comfy for them. I want fish who will adapt and evolve.

I'm really proud of my strong little fishes that have adapted to my tap water. Neons never make it,though. Never!

Iím really sorry to hear that! You may have issues growing in that.

You want to know something; I never treat my water when I put it into my tanks. It is similar to your numbers but I need the Nitrate for the plants the other harmful chemicals get diluted to harmless levels at the 15% changes that I do. You saw my Cardinal tank right? I never treated that tap water either! Never. In my experience that unless your doing massive 50% water changes itís just not necessary to add more chemicals of ďanyĒ kind.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherH
    (Can't have an open tank,my kitties insist that tap water isn't suitable for cat consumption-must be fish tank water. The little one fell IN the 50g tank one day
    when I was cleaning and was quite an ordeal as she couldn't get footing to pull herself back out. Lids are a MUST in this house.)
    Should have gotten a picture of that afterward.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!

Should have seen all the long white kitty hairs I was scooping out of the tank for a few days after that. Stuck in the filters,on the plants...ugh.
    50g hex mixed com,30g parrot,5g ACF,16g bow planted. More to come!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Rinse it a couple times, lay a trash bag over it in the tank and fill the tank slowly. The bag helps hold the dust down and it should be clear for you by morning. I wouldn't rinse it to death or you're rinsing out the nutrients.
    Did I mess up with my 2 bags of Florite Black Sand for my new 20g planted setup. I rinsed and rinsed rinsed and wondered when to stop rinising. How do you know when to quit rinsing? If I rinsed out the good stuff, can I fix it? If so how? Do I need to buy more Flourite Black Sand? I have about 2" but would like a thicker layer of substrate.
    125g Planted Community - Rena XP-4, Rena XP3
    Angels, Dora Cory Cats, Glass Cat Fish, Gouramis, Scissor Tails, High Fin Black Skirt Tetras, Snails
    30g Working Tank as needed
    20g Planted Community - AC-70 Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, Dwarf African Frogs, Bamboo Shrimp, Snails
    1g 1 Siamese Fighting Fish, Snails
    Aquarium Resources Angel Fish Breeding Modifying Water Chemistry Pest Snail Control

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacotah7
    Did I mess up with my 2 bags of Florite Black Sand for my new 20g planted setup. I rinsed and rinsed rinsed and wondered when to stop rinising. How do you know when to quit rinsing? If I rinsed out the good stuff, can I fix it? If so how? Do I need to buy more Flourite Black Sand? I have about 2" but would like a thicker layer of substrate.
    I would help but I only use the regular Flourite red. I rinsed mine until is ran mostly clear. The tank still clouded for about a week. I have about 2 1/2 inches.