· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Got the Fluorite today

0 Not allowed!
    I bought 15 pounds of it for my 16g,getting ready to do the fun washing and drying of it so I don't get chocolate milk water.

Found a good link to someone going through the process to help me out:

http://www.vickisaquaticplace.com/fluorite.html

Man that water is nasty in the first wash off!
    50g hex mixed com,30g parrot,5g ACF,16g bow planted. More to come!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah the first few rinses will be pretty dirty. took me abou 30 mins t of rinsing to get it clear enough for me!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by souly
    Yeah the first few rinses will be pretty dirty. took me abou 30 mins t of rinsing to get it clear enough for me!
    Good luck! I can't wait to see your tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Man
    Good luck! I can't wait to see your tank.
    Me too..

I'm going so slow putting it together because I can't make up my ever changing mind it may be years before I actually sit back and say "I'm done".

Still can't decide what fish to put in it when it's done. I wanted some blue rams,but they are too delicate for my crappy water. Love neons,but they really hate my water. Leaning towards pearl danios now w/some corys.

Ahh decisions,decisions...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherH
    Me too..

I'm going so slow putting it together because I can't make up my ever changing mind it may be years before I actually sit back and say "I'm done".

Still can't decide what fish to put in it when it's done. I wanted some blue rams,but they are too delicate for my crappy water. Love neons,but they really hate my water. Leaning towards pearl danios now w/some corys.

Ahh decisions,decisions...
    What are your tap waters parameters?

0 Not allowed!
    Rinse it a couple times, lay a trash bag over it in the tank and fill the tank slowly. The bag helps hold the dust down and it should be clear for you by morning. I wouldn't rinse it to death or you're rinsing out the nutrients.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Rinse it a couple times, lay a trash bag over it in the tank and fill the tank slowly. The bag helps hold the dust down and it should be clear for you by morning. I wouldn't rinse it to death or you're rinsing out the nutrients.
    Yes it is true, I use this stuff and you want to keep as much clay in it as you can. The garbage bag method is the best way. And when you plant it try to move the substrate carefully and slowly so you don't disturb it to much.

0 Not allowed!
    I came across a deal for some used flourite ages ago. It was probably used for about 2 years before I got it, and then used by me for about 1 1/2" years. So this flourite was used pretty much 3 1/2 years and it was subjected to a lot of rinsing and water changes over the years. And still it would create dust clouds in the tank, whenever I attempted to move some plants around. They aren't too bad the dust clouds, just have to give it some time to settle out. One trick I used to use was to add pillow stuffing to a spare hob filter, and then run it while the tank was still cloudy, helped a fair bit. When done, the pillow stuffing can just be tossed or rinsed.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I rinsed it moderately and when the water ran clear I dried it and put it in the tank,had not too bad cloudy water for about 12 hours. Now it's clear.

Waiting for the dang tank to finish up cycling now....Got my T5 36W fixture yesterday,too. It looks silly because it's aluminum and my tank hood is black but it's very flat so it hides well behind the flip up part. (Can't have an open tank,my kitties insist that tap water isn't suitable for cat consumption-must be fish tank water. The little one fell IN the 50g tank one day
    when I was cleaning and was quite an ordeal as she couldn't get footing to pull herself back out. Lids are a MUST in this house.)

I'm taking pics step by step as I go,starting with the murky water. Ugly as heck.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Man
    What are your tap waters parameters?

I'm sorry I forgot to answer you!

My tap water untreated when I tested it has right at 1ppm-1.5ppm ammonia and it has (not quite) 5ppm nitrates,too (fortunately,no nitrites!). I use Start Right conditioner and it brings the ammonia to 0ppm. My pH is around 7.8,don't have a test kit for the other part of the hardness aspect,but my water is liquid limestone. Get a glass of water from the tap,drink it,and you can see the hard water stains. It's gross. We can't keep shiny faucets here for more than a day. lol

The Start Right neutralizes the ammonia showing up immediately (retested water again as I type all of this) thank goodness.

This is why I don't want german blue rams. I have crappy tap water,I need hardy healthy robust fish. GBRs love soft water,I really don't want to mess with the chemistry of the water to make it comfy for them. I want fish who will adapt and evolve.

I'm really proud of my strong little fishes that have adapted to my tap water. Neons never make it,though. Never!