· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trimming val

1. Default trimming val

0 Not allowed!
    i need advice on how to trim my really tall val

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    You can snip off the leaves, you can also trim the leaves at whatever height you like. Trimming off the tops will not kill the leaves or stop them from growing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats what im worried about. Im not positive about id either. I dont want to kill the plant or stop it from growing cuz it grows like crazy right now.

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    If it is a val you can trim the leaves? Do you have a picture handy?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    it wont let me says its too big. this plant has leaves that are less than half inch across, paper thin and tall.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    it is for sure val, did a web search

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've found that trimming the leaves stops them from growing and they eventually die. if you want you can remove the whole leaf and more should grow in its place.
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Z that would apply to crypts and swords but val leaves can be trimmed at the top, the leaves will continue to grow.

0 Not allowed!
    I cut a full 18" off my vals without any problem at all. They grow from the roots, not the tops, so cutting is no problem.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Z Fish Man
    I've found that trimming the leaves stops them from growing and they eventually die. if you want you can remove the whole leaf and more should grow in its place.
    I haven't had luck with trimming the tops of Vals either. I trim the tops, and where the cut was made turns brown which travels down the rest of the leaf.

So, for OP all I can say is try it and see what happens assuming you are talking about Vals.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.