· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

Default Brhino's tank(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Finally got around to taking some pictures, so I figured I'd start my own journal

PHOTO DISCLAIMER: My wife's fancy, modern digital camera is awaiting a new battery charger from Amazon. In the mean time, all I have is my very old, cheap digital, which has several drawbacks: it can't capture a quickly moving object. It can't take a picture of any decent quality without the flash. It can't take closeups. Hopefully soon we'll get the other camera functional and I can take some respectable photos, but for now, here's what you get:

The Fish
    Every fish in our tank gets a name. Yes, even the ones we can't tell apart from one another.

2 Veiltail Fancy Goldfish: Ackbar (gold) and Palpatine (white) - to be rehomed in a month or two.
    6 Glo Fish: 3 yellow (Laser, Taser, and Maser), and 3 red (Ivan, Uhtred, and Alfred) - Alfred is unfortunately probably not going to live much longer, as he doesn't seem to eat much if anything. See this thread.
    2 Zebra Danios: Mercury (male) and Mithril (female)
    1 Bristlenose Pleco: Cthulhu

The Tank
    This is my first tank. There's a number of things I would do differently and/or plan to change in the future, but I'm trying to do things slowly, one thing at a time, so I make sure I'm not going fish-crazy.

Started: December 27, 2009
    Size: 29g (30"x12"x18")
    Filter: Tetra Whisper 40
    Lighting: Single T12 20W "50/50" 5000K/Actinic. Not ideal, I know.
    Substrate: Marbles. Would not recommend this for the most part. Very pretty (though obviously not natural looking), but very hard to clean. Might work better with a thinner layer. With that said, I had them on hand so it was free, so it gives me something to have while I learn the subtleties behind choosing another substrate.
    Plants: Different varieties of the Plasticus genus. To be gradually phased out in favor of living plants.
    Driftwood: Real. Been in the tank about a month now and the tannins keep coming, although it's lightening up these days.
    Background: Nothing! Been meaning to pick up some black posterboard. Haven't yet.

Future Plans
    Soon (any day now) - purchase 40W dual T5 light fixture, and some live plants - Java fern, Java moss. Pick up a black backdrop.
    Mid April - get AC50 HoB filter, to be run in parallel with current filter, in preparation for new tank.
    Mid-May or June - setup new 2'x2' cube tank, transfer goldfish and AC50 filter. Replace substrate in 29g with black sand.
    July-? Add 1 or 2 species to 29g. Definitely a school of corys of some sort, and perhaps some sort of mid/top dweller. Black skirt tetras? Livebearers?
    Long term - with improved filtration, new cube tank could support one or two more goldfish. Also would like to upgrade the community tank to something in the 80-gallon range and add several more community species.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Its coming along nicely! A journal is a great idea for every tank.
    A back ground is good to have.The fish feel less stress with a bg,it leaves only the front of the tank open.They get spooked less.
    With a solid bg your fish seem to show better and their colors pop more in the pics.I prefer flat black.
    As for substrate,research them and pick the one that best suits your tanks needs.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    All right! Went out today and bought a dual T5 light fixture (36W total) and a couple plants. Among other things, the extra light makes the pictures on my outdated camera slightly better.

Whole tank shot:

Java Moss draped over the plastic cave, tied down with fishing line. Did I do this right? It looks messy, but I guess it'll fill in and latch on as it grows?

I wanted a Java Fern but they only had one in the store and it doesn't look great. Hopefully it'll grow out. They had it buried in the substrate, which I know java ferns don't like. It should be much happier tied to my driftwood. Note the Glo Fish blurring by the camera!
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    With the extra light and a bit of patience, I was able to get some shots of my goldfish almost worth posting.

0 Not allowed!
    That cave is going to look nice once the moss takes hold
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice tank and fish.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice, I love your marbles, a nice touch.//

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool tank. I've never seen marbles used as a substrate before. I like it :)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kathymac
    Very nice, I love your marbles, a nice touch.//
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny
    Cool tank. I've never seen marbles used as a substrate before. I like it :)
    Thanks folks! Although, I'd like to point out again - they're pretty but hard to work with. Everything that sinks falls between them. That means your fish don't have much time to grab sinking food, and there's going to be a lot of crud down there that's hard to get out. It also would have been very expensive if I hadn't been collecting marbles since I was a young kid - I believe there's approximately 2000 of them in the tank.

When I get the goldfish their own tank, I'm going to pull the marbles out of the 29g and replace them with sand, then add the marbles to the goldfish tank. That way the community tank will have realistic material (live plants, driftwood, sand... although I guess pure black sand isn't that realistic), and the goldfish tank will be more whimsically decorated. I'd like some kind of flat area where sinking food isn't instantly lost, though. Maybe a large flat stone or something.

In other news, the charger for my wife's camera arrived, and it's now up and running. I have commissioned a full set of tank and fish photos from her (I'm a point-and-shooter, she's a college-trained photographer). I will share them when I get them.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    now we're starting to get some quality pictures.

Can everyone see this? It's taken straight off my wife's facebook page, which is probably a less than ideal way to cross-host a picture file.

Anyhow, that's Palpatine. He "drinks" air from the top of the tank like that fairly frequently. I've heard conflicting reports on whether that's normal goldfish behavior or a warning sign. The other goldfish rarely if ever does it.