· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moss Balls?

1. Default Moss Balls?

0 Not allowed!
    I have been seing in my LFS Box stores something called moss balls. I was wondering what are they? As well as any other additional info on these items.
    65 gallon: Black Sailfin Pleco, Rubbermouth pleco, bristle nose pleco, 4 cory's and 4 goldfish.
    55 gallon fish tank: Two pairs of koi angels
    20 gallon:1 Pair Koi Angels.
    29 Gallon: 1 pr Convicts, 5 Skunk Botias
    10 gallon: Fry Tank
    http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...view=slideshow

0 Not allowed!
    I’ve got some in my tank. I forgot what type of moss or plant they actually are. They seem to do well in low light tanks. Every week when I’m competing my weekly waterchanges, I put them in a bucket of old tank water and squeeze out the debris from them and put them back in the tank. Very low maintenance and hardy.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Moss_ball

That look like what you saw? They are indeed called Moss Balls, among other things, including Cladophora aegagropila and/or Aegagropila linnaeii.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking about adding them in my tank but was not sure what there reqirements are. Could I use them in a foreground?
    65 gallon: Black Sailfin Pleco, Rubbermouth pleco, bristle nose pleco, 4 cory's and 4 goldfish.
    55 gallon fish tank: Two pairs of koi angels
    20 gallon:1 Pair Koi Angels.
    29 Gallon: 1 pr Convicts, 5 Skunk Botias
    10 gallon: Fry Tank
    http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...view=slideshow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyPastor
    I was thinking about adding them in my tank but was not sure what there reqirements are. Could I use them in a foreground?
    I couldn't see why not.

That's what I used them for in my tank. I thought they would be a little easier than other plant options
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just bought one yesterday at Petsmart. Like so often is the case, the store helper was of little help. He said they were a new thing and really popular.

ME: Ya? So What? What are they? ...like common and scientific names would be of use here.
    HIM: I dunno, but it is a place for your algae to grow.
    ME THINING: Hey, I don't need a place for algae to grow, but bought one anyway out of curiosity and would research it later.

At home rinsing it off before adding it to the tank, I found what I bought, looks like Java Moss wrapped around a sponge. Did I get duped? LOL
    125g Planted Community - Rena XP-4, Rena XP3
    Angels, Dora Cory Cats, Glass Cat Fish, Gouramis, Scissor Tails, High Fin Black Skirt Tetras, Snails
    30g Working Tank as needed
    20g Planted Community - AC-70 Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, Dwarf African Frogs, Bamboo Shrimp, Snails
    1g 1 Siamese Fighting Fish, Snails
    Aquarium Resources Angel Fish Breeding Modifying Water Chemistry Pest Snail Control

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bought one at Petco which was just Java Moss wrapped around something. But the other day I saw at Petsmart 'Marimo Balls" which is what I had wanted in the first place. The Marimo balls are about $8 here, and the Java Moss ones are significantly cheaper.
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta

0 Not allowed!
    I have three of them! If you cut them up...they will eventually all turn into moss balls. Very low maintenance. My shrimp love them too!
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacotah7

At home rinsing it off before adding it to the tank, I found what I bought, looks like Java Moss wrapped around a sponge. Did I get duped? LOL
    That's exactly what it is. Petsmart has been selling those for ages. The sponge or plastic thing in the middle lets it float a bit.