· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Potted or Not?

1. Default Potted or Not?

0 Not allowed!
    I really know little about plants but have had some success after many failures. I am planting my new 20g setup which has a layer of Sea Chems' Pond Matrix at the bottom of the tank. Most of it is probably 3/4" in diameter with some a little smaller. It is a pourous rock providing a good substrate for pond plants to root in and a place for bacteria to colonize. If either of those will happen in my tank and they way I have it setup is yet to be proven. On top of that I have 2 bags of Sea Chems' Flourite Black Sand. The top sand layer is just over 2" thick when it is level out.

Now the question is should I remove the little plastic baskets from the plants or leave them on? I read a plant book that said remove them, the plants will do better. The LFS guy said it is best to leave them on, the roots will grow through the material in the baskets, and it is easier to move the plants for cleaning.

My intention is not to be moving the plants at all, let them grow. Eventually I want the substrate 100% covered in something growing and green. I may have just answered my own question, lol, but what do you think? Baskets/Pots or Not? Pros and Cons?
    125g Planted Community - Rena XP-4, Rena XP3
    Angels, Dora Cory Cats, Glass Cat Fish, Gouramis, Scissor Tails, High Fin Black Skirt Tetras, Snails
    30g Working Tank as needed
    20g Planted Community - AC-70 Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, Dwarf African Frogs, Bamboo Shrimp, Snails
    1g 1 Siamese Fighting Fish, Snails
    Aquarium Resources Angel Fish Breeding Modifying Water Chemistry Pest Snail Control

0 Not allowed!
    I'd take the plastic basket off, and loosen up the stuff the roots are set in, then set it into the substrate. Give the roots are a chance to spread out and not be restricted by the plastic container. Only time I can think of to keep it in a potted plant, is maybe in a tank with sand substrate if you have fish that keep unrooting it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One more factor, yesterday I bought a lot of plants, not knowing what I bought, so I have my work cut out in identifying them and their requirements. Until I know more, I may be moving them around, or re-homing some into my 125g. I expect I may loose some due to my own ignorance, and before I correct my lack of knowledge. The Petsmart employee (I will not call him the store "helper") was of no help, and little use. He was trying to sell me on the merits a particular brand of Ich medication while I was trying to decide on which plants to buy. That is the truth.
    Angels, Dora Cory Cats, Glass Cat Fish, Gouramis, Scissor Tails, High Fin Black Skirt Tetras, Snails
    20g Planted Community - AC-70 Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, Dwarf African Frogs, Bamboo Shrimp, Snails
    Aquarium Resources Angel Fish Breeding Modifying Water Chemistry Pest Snail Control

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith
    I'd take the plastic basket off, and loosen up the stuff the roots are set in, then set it into the substrate. Give the roots are a chance to spread out and not be restricted by the plastic container. Only time I can think of to keep it in a potted plant, is maybe in a tank with sand substrate if you have fish that keep unrooting it.
    I have that going on in my 125g with gravel substrate. It is amazing how much gravel the fish move around so quickly. There I have some potted plants but mostly bare roots. Re-scaping the substrate is on-going maintenance.

0 Not allowed!
    http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php use this site it has a huge database of plants and pictures of them, sorted in categories.

By the way you could always buy some cheap terracotta pots and put your plants into them and pack it with a nutrient rich substrate. Then just bury the pot in the gravel.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith
    http://plantgeek.net/plantguide.php use this site it has a huge database of plants and pictures of them, sorted in categories.

By the way you could always buy some cheap terracotta pots and put your plants into them and pack it with a nutrient rich substrate. Then just bury the pot in the gravel.
    Thanks. That is what I need.

Great idea.