· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find a turkey for u - Neon   Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   

Default Turtles and Fish: Harmony:)

0 Not allowed!
    So not many people have luck with fish and turtles together, I thought I would share a video of my 5 turtles and 50+ fish living together with no losses but feeders for quite some time.

Mostly cichlids, two bichirs, a bluegill and two common plecos. No turtle involved deaths since before my memory fails me;)
    Deaths include bala sharks, pictus cats, columbian white tips and countless guppies, swordtails and mollies. I have not lost one single cichlid the entire time, there just too fast and too mean.
    Last edited by jay2487; 04-02-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Nice Video
    I have 2 Razorback Musk turtles with 2 Ranchu goldfish, and one pleco.
    The turtles ignore the fish as they are about the same size, they seem less shy since I introduced the goldfish, which I rescued from another tank where clown loaches were nipping at them. I added he Pleco for the waste, it seems to be a happy tank now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I love that driftwood in the third pic! is it fake? looks like a mangrove root system or something.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - gadget228   Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Its great that its working out for you so far, but I wouldnt call it harmony. If a turtle can catch and eat something, it will. Its only a matter of time.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff Boo train boo train boo train boo train woohoo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    True Aeon but it's not everyday that a Red Ear Slider meets an African cichlid in the wild.. In that log you can occasionally see a flash of pink, I have two jewel cihlids in there I believe are guarding a future spawning spot, not only do they avoid getting eaten but if the turtles venture too close the cichlids will plow the turtle away from it. It's pretty cool actually, I can't wait to see how well they protect their fry.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - gadget228   Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Well, keep us informed. A video of that would be awesome
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff Boo train boo train boo train boo train woohoo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    working on just that, and one of my big blue socolofi(I believe)making the turtles pinwheel trying to chase their tails, its pretty hilarious

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    I have had turtles with fish multiple times in the past. It works relatively well with a few conditions:
    1-the turtles are acquired when about hatchling size and raised on pellets exclusively.
    2-the turtles are kept satiated and never get hungry enough to go after the fish (turtles are always hungry but skipping feedings a few days can lead to missing fish).
    3-the fish are fast enough to avoid lazy attempts by the turtles (cichlids, danios, and long-bodied goldfish are good options, ranchus are a bad option).

Always assume that whatever goes in with turtles will end up as food, whether it happens the first night or years later. And accept any day it lasts as a gift.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, and once the turtles have failed at catching fish for so long, you can add slower fish simply because the turtles are less likely to chase fish in general any more. They used to snap at the occasional fish that passed right in front of their face which happens quite a bit with 50+ aggressive cichlids in the tank. Now they don't even care, they will pass by 5 fish who aren't paying a bit of attention to go for the algae wafer or turtle pellet all the fish are huddled around. Also I have two common plecos and 2 senegal bichirs in that tank and both species have been bitten by the turtles multiple times but always swim away like nothing happened. They are both too tough for the turtle to eat.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes Jay the driftwood is fake, big piece too, in the fish with turtles debate I think it depends on the turtles, the fish, the size of the turtles and size of the fish, feeding and so on. I have juvenile Musks and fairly large fish, I would never put bite sized fish, and Musks eat crustaceans and will only grow to 5 inches. They totally ignore the fish and the fish totally ignore them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast