· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

Default Transporting Fish/Tank to College

0 Not allowed!
    So right now I am living in San Diego, CA but in August I am planning on going to graduate school in Colorado. I only have a 10g tank that I would really like to take with me, but I'm trying to decide if it's more hassle than it's worth.

Right now the plan is to drive from San Diego up to the bay area where my parents live (8hr drive). Then a couple days after that drive to Colorado (~12hrs). So if I took my tank with me then it would be over two different long drives. I was thinking since my tank is small I could just put it in the back of my car surrounded by other soft things to keep it in place. Maybe only have it half full for the ride, then refill and reset it up when I'm done driving.

My concern is stress on the fish and if they will be ok for 8- 12 hrs without a filter or heater running. What do you guys think? The reason I want to keep this tank is that it's my first (and only so far) that I've put a lot of time (and money) into. Either way I'll probably be getting a bigger tank in Colorado and turn this one into a RCS breeder/snail tank but I would really like to keep the fish and plants.
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    For the plants depending on the plant you can wrap them in a moist towel paper, then put them into a ziplock bag. People ship fish in the mail and that can take several days. For the fish don't feed them the day before, bag them up, and pack them up as if you were going to mail them out. A styrofoam container would be good to put them in. The filter media, keep it wet, the bacteria may last. The tank itself, just drain the water out, you can leave the substrate in it, shouldn't be a problem since it's just a 10g.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    But do you think it would be easier just to leave everything in the tank instead of bagging it all up separately since I'm taking the tank anyways?
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas! - Northernguy   Here ya go :) - Nick89   Thanks for the plants.  My CPD's thank you too! - Sir Tristen   And a pretty plant for you too! - Sir Tristen   

0 Not allowed!
    Hello z. I've actually had to do this a couple of times. The first time was a four hour trip to my roommate's house. She watched my fish over the winter break since my school was 2,500 miles away. The tank was a 10 gallon and we put the fish,filter media, and plants into a styrofoam cooler. There is a gadget you can buy at lowe's and home depot that is an ac/dc adaptor for your car. We plugged an air pump into it and put it into the cooler to keep the fish oxygenated. I would personally not keep water in the tank. Car seats are tilted and getting it level is going to be hard to do. The weight of the water is going to be put on one side of the glass and this can weaken it.

As for shipping the fish, well I had to do that too when I graduated. I had one of the local stores pack the fish for me. I overnighted them at a fedex store and... it was not cheap... over $100 bucks. This was a big box and a little heavy so this is probably why it cost so much. If you want to go this route, I would try to ship them in a priority or express through UPS, it would be a lot cheaper.
    30gL heavily planted: south american community tank
    15g mod. planted: nano fish community tank
    6g long(custom tank) mod planted: 6 bettas w/ dividers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Z Fish Man
    But do you think it would be easier just to leave everything in the tank instead of bagging it all up separately since I'm taking the tank anyways?
    Better to bag it up. Else too much sloshing around going on, and plants may not handle that well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm yeah I guess a bag would eliminate the sloshing to some degree. My tank would be in the trunk and not on a car seat so at least it would be level. I would be most worried about the water spilling out but if i get a decent top for it I don't see the problem. Most of the driving will be on freeways so it should be smooth. Moving the tank to car would be the hardest part sloshing wise.

edit: Oh yeah and I don't think I can ship them just due to circumstance and from a cost stand point. an interesting idea nonetheless.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Z Fish Man
    edit: Oh yeah and I don't think I can ship them just due to circumstance and from a cost stand point. an interesting idea nonetheless.
    Meant just pretend like you are going to mail the fish. Pack them the same way. If you get breather bags you won't have to worry about the water sloshing around as much. Put in a styrofoam container, can fill in the inside with crumbled newspaper or styrofoam pellets to insulate them.

The tank itself empty the water out completely and maybe put a bag over it to keep other stuff from getting in. Could even put the bag of plants inside the tank. That way once you get to your new place, its just a matter of refilling the tank and replanting everything.

Keep a bottle of dechlorinator and some spare bags with you somewhere you can find them just in case while you are traveling. I learned that lesson the hard way on my way back from a fish meeting/auction, a bag of fish started leaking. Had no supplies on me, ended up stopping at a quicktrip (gas station) and getting an empty fountain cup to put bring them home in. Since then I'm more prepared.

I moved maybe 10minutes away from my old apt. I kept less than an inch of water in the 10g planted tank, just thankful it had a lid on it, by the time I got it moved up to the new place, the plants and everything in the tank was a mess.

Anyhow the success of how well it goes will be all down to preparation. Let us know how the move goes.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Drip Method?  Not! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    What kind and how many of each, plants and fish?

Where in Colorado?
    Last edited by Dacotah7; 04-01-2010 at 08:11 AM.
    125g Planted Community - Rena XP-4, Rena XP3
    Angels, Dora Cory Cats, Glass Cat Fish, Gouramis, Scissor Tails, High Fin Black Skirt Tetras, Snails
    30g Working Tank as needed
    20g Planted Community - AC-70 Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, Dwarf African Frogs, Bamboo Shrimp, Snails
    1g 1 Siamese Fighting Fish, Snails
    Aquarium Resources Angel Fish Breeding Modifying Water Chemistry Pest Snail Control

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice Oscar! - Blu-ray   2 O's make an OhOh!lol - Northernguy   Drink up! lol - Northernguy   thanks! - Scrup   happy birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith
    For the plants depending on the plant you can wrap them in a moist towel paper, then put them into a ziplock bag. People ship fish in the mail and that can take several days. For the fish don't feed them the day before, bag them up, and pack them up as if you were going to mail them out. A styrofoam container would be good to put them in. The filter media, keep it wet, the bacteria may last. The tank itself, just drain the water out, you can leave the substrate in it, shouldn't be a problem since it's just a 10g.
    When fish are shipped don't they put some chemical in the water to slow the fish's metabolism down, putting them to 'sleep'?
    "In order to punish me for my contempt of authority the authorities have made me an authority myself" - Albert Einstein.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw/oscar
    When fish are shipped don't they put some chemical in the water to slow the fish's metabolism down, putting them to 'sleep'?
    It isn't really necessary, some shippers do use a product like bag buddies, shipshape, can't remember what other products there are. Suppose to help the water quality and reduce stress on the fish, also it turns the water a blue color. The fish will be in a small container (bag) and in a dark enclosed space that'll keep them inactive.