Quote Originally Posted by Zilla
Well there ya go. Why dose the tank when it's not needed?

Hmmmmm. Ya know, I like the way you think Zilla.

I guess I'll just take a good look in the tank when I move the fry out. Iím just too nervous to remove any plants or drift wood from the tank to clean off any algae right now as the fry is using this for cover. If that results in more algae growth, Iíll try it when the fry is out if the algae starts to come back. If not Iíll wait and see. If it continues to go away or a least will not get any worse. I guess I really should stay the couse for about week after the fry are moved.

Ever since I've been keeping the nitrate as close to zero as possible (to remove algae's food), I've been thinking about adding a 1/2 dose every other week for the plants. Just a little concerned they are not getting what they need, but so far no change in the plants so I haven't started that yet. But here's where I'm on the fence. I want to use ferts, but I don't want to use ferts. I know, I know, but it makes sense to me. I've never used a full dose of ferts for at least a few years. I was using 1/2 doses on my 55 for about a month but stopped to see what would happen, and nothing changed. I used to use ferts all the time until a few years ago when I accidently over did it and killed off almost all of the plants. Just a little paranoid about a repeat event as I'm starting to understand more of the potential impact that can have on a tank and all my guys in it.

But when the rubber hits the road, all that won't matter though. If I've removed the root cause of the algae, no excel is needed and life goes on. If not, back to the drawing board to try to find out what's causing the algae and address that cause and see what happens. Life goes on. Come to think of it, I think you even suggested I do exactly that before.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed some days