· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Washing algae off Java fern

0 Not allowed!
    I have some clumps of java fern tied to drift wood that has a lot of algae on them. I want to wash it off. I remembered reading a thread about that but I canít find it right now. I canít remember if you wash it off with a 10% solution of bleach or hydrogen peroxide?

From what I remember these are the steps:
    -Remove the plant from the tank and place in the solution
    -Wash the plant in the solution for no more than a few minutes
    -Wash the plant again in declorinated water
    -Return to tank

Did I remember correctly ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll bite on this one lol...
    I believe it's peroxide not bleeeech.
    Sometimes it just won't remove itself no matter what you try.
    Mine [algae] is re-incarnating itself as we speak.
    I heard it was supposed to kill snail larve too!
    I use a soft tooth brush for a scrubber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    I have some clumps of java fern tied to drift wood that has a lot of algae on them. I want to wash it off. I remembered reading a thread about that but I canít find it right now. I canít remember if you wash it off with a 10% solution of bleach or hydrogen peroxide?

From what I remember these are the steps:
    -Remove the plant from the tank and place in the solution
    -Wash the plant in the solution for no more than a few minutes
    -Wash the plant again in declorinated water
    -Return to tank

Did I remember correctly ?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Variety is the spice of life, but sometimes too much info is bad and the outcome isn't always good regardless of good intentions.

Both methods can be used, however, I'm not sure how well Java Ferns stand up to such treatment.

Bleach- 1 part bleach to 19 parts water.

I used this method on a Amazon Sword and the Sword didn't like it much. The leaves didn't turn white as I only left them in for less than a minute and soaked them in dechlorinated water for over a hour, but the plant still took a hit and looks rather pathetic right now. It's still alive, but blech. It looks lke crap and now needs a major trimming.

Different people use the peroxide method in different ways, Some soak, others squirt it on the plant. Either way, don't allow to either soak in too long or leave it sitting on the leaves for any length of time.

To make things further confusing, there is also the Excel method. Using full strength Excel on a plant can and will kill it in some cases. ( I can't see past the irony. A plant fert that can kill a plant on contact... *shakes head*) So, if you'd like to gamble with this method, use a syringe ( can find them in them in the cat / dog dewromer section of stores like Pet Smart) or turkey baster and mix up a ratio half Excel, half water. Apply to problem leaves and rinse.

If this is residual algae from the problem you were having, you should start to see a die off rather quickly. If it's BBA algae, it may take awhile.

If you want to try just taking the plant out and manually rubbing the algae off, that may or may not work.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla
    Variety is the spice of life, but sometimes too much info is bad and the outcome isn't always good regardless of good intentions.

Both methods can be used, however, I'm not sure how well Java Ferns stand up to such treatment.

Bleach- 1 part bleach to 19 parts water.

I used this method on a Amazon Sword and the Sword didn't like it much. The leaves didn't turn white as I only left them in for less than a minute and soaked them in dechlorinated water for over a hour, but the plant still took a hit and looks rather pathetic right now. It's still alive, but blech. It looks lke crap and now needs a major trimming.

Different people use the peroxide method in different ways, Some soak, others squirt it on the plant. Either way, don't allow to either soak in too long or leave it sitting on the leaves for any length of time.

To make things further confusing, there is also the Excel method. Using full strength Excel on a plant can and will kill it in some cases. ( I can't see past the irony. A plant fert that can kill a plant on contact... *shakes head*) So, if you'd like to gamble with this method, use a syringe ( can find them in them in the cat / dog dewromer section of stores like Pet Smart) or turkey baster and mix up a ratio half Excel, half water. Apply to problem leaves and rinse.

If this is residual algae from the problem you were having, you should start to see a die off rather quickly. If it's BBA algae, it may take awhile.

If you want to try just taking the plant out and manually rubbing the algae off, that may or may not work.
    Yup, this is the residual algae in my 36 gallon tank. Its starting to die off rapidly now that I have reduced the lighting and lowered the nitrates. I tested for phosphates which barely even registered on my test kit. I am concerned the dying algae could result in a small ammonia spike. I am currently completing 50% water changes every other day, but the next two weeks Iíll be out of town and I donít think my wife will have the time for all those water changes. I want to remove all the algae I could this week end to make sure.

I read about the excel method, but I'm really not that comfortable using any type chemical unless I have no other option. Heck, I canít even bring myself to use a full dose of ferts in my 55 gallon tank, most Iíve ever used was a 50% dose twice per month. I too found to be rather ironic that you could use a full strenght fert to kill a plant or algae.

If Java fern can be sensitive, Iíll just was off in declorinated water. That should get enough of it. If that doesnít work, Iíll try the bleach method

Thanks for the info, very helpful.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Since it's dying off on it's own, I wouldn't do anything. Java Fern leaves are like mosses in the sense that they seem to collect everything. I have 1 in the 20 gallon and 1 in the 55 and both of them always have something stuck on them.

I found that just rubbing them off with alittle pressure, (not too much as it will hurt the leaves) does the trick.

I don't full dose with ferts either. I half dose with water changes only. For heavy root feeders such as Swords, they get a root tab once a month.

Keep a eye on things and see how it goes. Your plants will tell you if you are doing the right thing. Also as suggested in your other thread, if you haven't done so already, get some fast growers in there. They are nature's vacuum cleaners. LOL
    Last edited by Zilla; 04-01-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Use Excel by it's directions for a week and most of your algea will be gone.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant Man
    Use Excel by it's directions for a week and most of your algea will be gone.
    I never would have thought of that !!!

I'll give it a shot once all of my fry are out of that tank

thx

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Before you do that, make sure you don't have plants that are sensitive to Excel as otherwise perfectly healthy plants can / will be rendered into brown mush.

It's one of the many issues with Excel that is talked about, but yet not talked about until somebody has a problem with it. What can kill algae can also kill plants. There's that funny logic..

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla
    Before you do that, make sure you don't have plants that are sensitive to Excel as otherwise perfectly healthy plants can / will be rendered into brown mush.

Thanks for that tip, I will to a little research first. After all, I've got some time. The algue keeps getting less and less so I'm one the right track.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well there ya go. Why dose the tank when it's not needed?