· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

Default Penguin 100 Filter Media

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Penguin 100b that I have been using since the start of my tank (about 10 months?). I have been using the filter that comes with it (blue floss cartridge) and haven't replaced it yet. I do wash it about every other week though. I am thinking about replacing the cartridge as the one I have is getting kinda torn up. Should I just buy a new cartridge or is there something else that would fit in there that people recommend? I am looking for mainly good mechanical filtration as it has a bio wheel.

Thanks,
    Zack
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I have two of these filters. What I do is disassemble the filter cart and discard everything but the plastic. I buy Marineland blue and white bonded filter pad. I cut a piece a little wider than the cartridge plastic and wrap the pad around the edges of the plastic frame, cut the notch at the top and bottom, and just slide it down into the filter. You don't need glue or staples or anything like that. I don't use carbon so this works out great and it's CHEAP compared to buying new carts.

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Ooo thanks that sounds like a great idea. I guess I can just leave the pad I cut out in with the filter for a few days to seed it and it should be good to go. I'll see if I can find some of that pad at the LFS.
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC tank! - Northernguy   for ur new tank - Neon   Sorry to hear of your loss. - VoidParadigm   I like your pleco pics!! - gabbyguppy   1000 posts! - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    In my penguin filter (along with the cartridge) I shuve(sp?) chemi-pure elite in there. I repace the cartridges every month +/- a few weeks. And the will replace the chemi pure about every 5 months.