· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

Default Blue Shrimp Losing Coloration

0 Not allowed!
    So I picked up two blue shrimp from my LFS. I believe they are of the same or similar species as red cherry shrimp but blue. Anyways, they have been in my tank for about 5 days. I have been gone for three days and I came back and saw that one of the my shrimp turned all white and lost it's coloration. I assume this is a bad thing. The other shrimp looks perfectly fine so I'm not sure what's going on. The water temp is about 77 F and the tank is planted and has stable params with pH of about 8. Anyone have this happen before or know what might be causing it? Maybe he is getting ready to molt or just molted? I don't see any shell though.

Thanks
    Zack
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Possibly molted, the lack of an exoskeleton might mean they already feasted on it (good source of calcium). Not sure if it's dying or not, usually when my red cherry shrimp are in that 'dying' phase, they turn a paler red colour. Other than keeping the tank conditions stable not sure what else to suggest.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith
    Possibly molted, the lack of an exoskeleton might mean they already feasted on it (good source of calcium). Not sure if it's dying or not, usually when my red cherry shrimp are in that 'dying' phase, they turn a paler red colour. Other than keeping the tank conditions stable not sure what else to suggest.
    Ok thanks i'll keep my eye on him. Hopefully he regains his color and the other one keeps his color. can't find much on the internet about these guys.
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Z Fish Man
    Ok thanks i'll keep my eye on him. Hopefully he regains his color and the other one keeps his color. can't find much on the internet about these guys.
    Neocaridina sp. "blue"
    http://www.petshrimp.com/neocaridinaspblue.php

Neocaridina is the scientific name, a lot of different colors have been bred for out of the wild group. Red Cherry Shrimp are named Neocaridina denticulata sinensis "red".

Petshrimp.com is a fairly decent site to get some pics to go with the names of the different shrimp. Just look up info on neocaridina or red cherry shrimp since they are just like blue variety, except a different colour. Then again that is if they are the blue variety of neocaridina and not some other type of shrimp totally.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the link. I was under the impression that the shrimp were bred blue but apparently it's artificial :[ I probably would have stuck with the RCS if i knew that.

Just an update: I found a molting in the tank this morning. I looked for the shrimp and saw them at the very top of my tank and though they were dead but they were just hanging out at the very top of my plants. It looks like the "white" one is regaining color.
    Last edited by Z Fish Man; 03-29-2010 at 02:48 PM.