· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacotah7
    Great Idea! But impossible at our big box sotres, Petco, and Petsmart. They don't have them labled, when or if they do they are wrong more times than right...
    Yeah most of the plants, at Petco anyway, that they have in the actual tank don't come with labels. It's just "assorted plants" or "bunched plants" or something along those lines. The bunched ones will normally come with non aquatic plants, so I would avoid those. The ones that come in the little plastic tubes should have their common and scientific name, though. They actually aren't a bad choice; I bought some of them and they have all done, at the very least, pretty good in my tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Simple thing would be to buy The Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock. It has 150 plant species with detailed photo and their individual care, plus a section on terrestrial plants that are sold as aquatic, so you'll know what you're looking at when you go for plants at uber chains like Petsmart and Petco, or online even.

Book sells for 15 to 20 bucks. Barrons publishes it.

Dave
    I actually have this book ordered and on the way as per your recommendation on the post about books you made awhile back . I dug up some old Barnes & Noble gift cards I had and ordered it awhile ago. The only problem was they didn't have it in stock so I've been waiting almost two weeks for them to ship it out now; should be coming any day

0 Not allowed!
    Almost all my plants are from fellow hobbyists, mostly through forums like planted tank and aquaria central which both have very active classifieds. In fact I just got a small priority box stuffed full of plants shipped for $10 and need to go to the office to pick up some lilies I got for $5 shipped. I've also bought from club auctions and aquabid as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

0 Not allowed!
    Fish stores that sell plants also sell plants for terrariums and ponds. We have to make sure we know what we're buying because they have to carry plants that suit the needs of everyone.