· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Red face Where do you buy plants?

0 Not allowed!
    OK. This may sound like a dumb question, but I went to PetSmart today intending to buy Java Fern. After I came home, I looked up the "java fern" that I bought and it's "trichomanes javanicum", which will supposedly die and rot when kept underwater. What a waste of money!
    So how do I buy plants for my aquarium? I thought I'd at least be able to trust a pet store. Unfortunately, there's no LFS nearby.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately, a lot of the major pet stores will sell plants that are not truly aquatic plants. What I'd recommend doing is go to the pet store, write down the common and scientific name of all the plants they carry, then go online to plantgeek.com and look at the requirements of them. Most importantly, make sure they are truly aquatic plants; plantgeek is normally good about telling you which plants are aquatic or not. Other than that, look for any mom and pop stores around you or check out websites like aquabid (I've never used it yet personally, but have heard it mentioned a few times).

Awards Showcase

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy Merry Christmas - Northernguy Happy Birthday!!! - Jill For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20 
    Sorry about your rat. - cer for giving a sick rat a great life - frank_zappa so sorry about JR. - gabbyguppy This one is best! - Agassizii thanks for the motm nomination! - Lab_Rat 
    To another Scotty fan,thx for chatting. - smaug Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Sorry about Blaze - Rue thank you very much. - smaug 1 year at AC! - Northernguy 
    Thanks for all the help lately i really appreciate it. - octoxpuss cause  your  good - bushwhacker For the Camden Aquarium tour! - Rue Happy Easter! - Northernguy 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos 

0 Not allowed!
    The chains are normally the worst with aquatic plants from my experiance. I, luckly have a good LFS. Otherwise buy them online. Aquabid is a good place to start looking.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    I buy them on forums like this one and from aquabid.

0 Not allowed!
    Best place to get quality plants is from other hobbyists, forum classified ads are a great place to start looking. Many people sell for very reasonable prices or even give plants to new hobbyists. Otherwise; ebay, aquabid, aquariumplants.com are good resources
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Red face

0 Not allowed!
    OK. Thanks everyone.

0 Not allowed!
    Plantedtank.net has a great "Swap and Shop" section and I've gotten GREAT plants and great deals from the people over there.

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SunSchein89
    Unfortunately, a lot of the major pet stores will sell plants that are not truly aquatic plants. What I'd recommend doing is go to the pet store, write down the common and scientific name of all the plants they carry, then go online to plantgeek.com and look at the requirements of them. Most importantly, make sure they are truly aquatic plants; plantgeek is normally good about telling you which plants are aquatic or not. Other than that, look for any mom and pop stores around you or check out websites like aquabid (I've never used it yet personally, but have heard it mentioned a few times).
    Great Idea! But impossible at our big box sotres, Petco, and Petsmart. They don't have them labled, when or if they do they are wrong more times than right.

It may have been dumb on my part, but I just bought a bunch of plants yesterday, not knowing what I bought, but wanted something in my new 20g planted. Now I am faced with identifying them and their requirements. Hopefully I can make everything work properly, not having the wrong mix, with extreme opposite requirements such a ph or lighting etc.
    125g Planted Community - Rena XP-4, Rena XP3
    Angels, Dora Cory Cats, Glass Cat Fish, Gouramis, Scissor Tails, High Fin Black Skirt Tetras, Snails
    30g Working Tank as needed
    20g Planted Community - AC-70 Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, Dwarf African Frogs, Bamboo Shrimp, Snails
    1g 1 Siamese Fighting Fish, Snails
    Aquarium Resources Angel Fish Breeding Modifying Water Chemistry Pest Snail Control

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkazmo
    Plantedtank.net has a great "Swap and Shop" section and I've gotten GREAT plants and great deals from the people over there.

Sark
    That is a great site for plants, gotten many good deals there. Just hobbyists selling to one another.

Another suggestion would be to see if your area has any local fish clubs. Great source of knowledge, fish and plants.

0 Not allowed!
    Simple thing would be to buy The Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock. It has 150 plant species with detailed photo and their individual care, plus a section on terrestrial plants that are sold as aquatic, so you'll know what you're looking at when you go for plants at uber chains like Petsmart and Petco, or online even.

Book sells for 15 to 20 bucks. Barrons publishes it.

Dave