· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New tank cycling

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

New to the forum, and pretty much new to the aquarium hobby. I used to have goldfish back when I was a kid, but never knew anything about cycling tanks, nitrogen cycle etc... wow has this stuff ever advanced.

Recently my little 5 year old daughter wanted an aquarium so we took the plunge and invested in a 37 gallon setup, got an eheim ecco 2234 canister filter (btw a real nice and easy to use filter).

We have been cycling with some small "starter" fish, these are zebra danios and tetras. I kinda wish I read about fishless cycle here prior to throwing in the fish, but oh well.

Anyway, all has been well for a week, fish are still all alive, been using the Seachem Stability, I believe it's called, to accelerate the bacteria growth process. Last night was eight days of operation, I purchased that master water test kit and tested the water. The readings I got were
    ammonia - 0.5ppm
    nitrites/nitrates - 0
    ph - 7.8

Since the ammonia level was kinda high I did a partial water change. Then measured and I discovered the ammonia looked acutally higher! It was not quite 1 ppm but seemed like 0.75 ppm.
    Then I tested the water from the tap and discovered it was about 1ppm from the tap! I thought I was doing something wrong, so I used this procedure to test some distilled water we have and it came out 0ppm ammonia, then I repeated for tap and tank water, same results.

So I guess maybe this is due to spring run-off. Has anyone else observed this from the tap? So this means that even with frequent water changes all I can do is get down to 0.75ppm - 1.0 ppm range.
    Is this ok? After all you need some ammonia to start the bacteria growth cycle either way though.
    Some help and or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks all

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    oh I forgot to add, should I buy some real plants then to combat the high levels of ammonia in the tap water? Will the plants use ammonia for food? or will this just delay the cycle?

thanks all

0 Not allowed!
    Just to clearify, is both your nitrite and nitrate at 0 ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 0.6ppm ammonia in my tap water from our well. Not to worry i would think, you can use tap water conditioner that breaks down the ammonia from NH3 to NH4, the NH4 is not lethal to fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Please read the Cycling with Fish (link in my signature), if you haven't already.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Just to clearify, is both your nitrite and nitrate at 0 ?
    actually to tell you the truth I measured the ammonia, ph, nitrite and not nitrate. Since there was no nitrite, I assumed there would be no nitrate since the cycle goes ammonia->nitrite->nitrate and there is not nitrite yet. I figured save the test kit drops, but maybe I should check nitrate levels anyway.

I'll do another test tonight and report back.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fins_n_fur
    Please read the Cycling with Fish (link in my signature), if you haven't already.

Read it and good info. I should have read it before buying the tank though! That was pretty much what the guy at the fish store told me, except the fishless cycle part. I even broke down and bought the master test kit, the one for 40$

The only thing I'm still not sure about are why the ammionia levels in the tank are actually lower than the tap. If it came from the tap and has had fish adding to it should it not be higher? What is lowering it? Is there already bacteria working after 8 days?

Thanks for the replies guys

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ippielb
    I have 0.6ppm ammonia in my tap water from our well. Not to worry i would think, you can use tap water conditioner that breaks down the ammonia from NH3 to NH4, the NH4 is not lethal to fish.
    Is that what the Seachem Stability is?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbialik
    actually to tell you the truth I measured the ammonia, ph, nitrite and not nitrate. Since there was no nitrite, I assumed there would be no nitrate since the cycle goes ammonia->nitrite->nitrate and there is not nitrite yet. I figured save the test kit drops, but maybe I should check nitrate levels anyway.

I'll do another test tonight and report back.
    Sounds good. Please post the results and maybe we can help a little better. How long has this tank been set-up for?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Sounds good. Please post the results and maybe we can help a little better. How long has this tank been set-up for?
    This is day #8 of operation