· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice little Oscar! - Blu-ray   

Question How Much Food for RCS?

0 Not allowed!
    Heya AC...just got my dozen RCS from aquabid.com and they are still pretty young. I'm getting 6 more adults from the lfs tomorrow, and the only other tankmates are a few small snails, and a single Otto. I've got a few plants and a large amount of willow moss on the left side of my tank. The RCS immediately dissapeared into the moss, and I have yet to see more than 1 at a time since. I just replaced my pea gravel substrate with a black sand, since I had heard that RCS get redder if they have a dark substrate.

I'm running 2 sponge filters, a heater, and 15watts of light.

Well, thats the set-up...my question is how much should I be feeding this tank? I am experienced with feeding fish, but I know that shrimp need much less food. I have sinking algea discs for plecos, normal flake food, and these lil betta bites. What amount of what food is best?

Again thanks...and here is the new set-up

(The guppies and cory are no longer in the tank, just snails, RCS, and an Otto)
    And I just got 30 lil Marimo Balls for all my tanks...I like them alot
    Last edited by The Curious; 03-23-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    55 Gallon - Reef
    55 Gallon - Red-Eared Slider
    20 Gallon - Brackish/Figure 8 Puffer

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like a nice little tank! Please tell me that your filters are cycled.

RCS will LOVE those Marimo Balls and also the Willow Moss. After a couple days of acclimating to the tank they'll be out and EVERYWHERE. I hope you have good luck with the Willow Moss as from what I just recently read it needs moderate to low light but needs quite a bit of CO2 to do really well. If the tips start turning brown, you'll know it's not getting enough CO2.

Be sure to keep your snail population in check as they produce a ton more waste than the shrimp.

As far as feeding goes... I fed mine about once every two to three days. I'd put enough in that they should be well fed but nothing more than they can consume in say about 8 hours or so. They're tiny and take tiny bites but they'll eat just about anything. I fed Hikari and then NLS. Occasionally I'd give them part of a small algae wafer. Virtually anything you put in the tank that's even remotely edible will be taken care of by the RCS or the snails. Too much food and your snail population will explode.

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Cool, yeah i just got a nano CO2 diffuser, just need to get some yeast packs to start it up. I've had the moss for awhile now and it has been thriving. Good stuff.
    55 Gallon - Reef
    55 Gallon - Red-Eared Slider
    20 Gallon - Brackish/Figure 8 Puffer

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkazmo
    Looks like a nice little tank! Please tell me that your filters are cycled.

After a couple days of acclimating to the tank they'll be out and EVERYWHERE.

Be sure to keep your snail population in check as they produce a ton more waste than the shrimp.
    I had guppies in the tank for a month with 1 sponge filter running, the second I just put in a few days ago, so I should be cycled fine.

Yeah, i hope they get used to their surroundings and decide to show themselves soon, I figured they would once they get comfortable.

The snails will become food for my turtle soon, so they are no worry.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I know I keep posting on my own thread...but could 4-6 neon or cardinal or pristella tetras go in this tank? Or would they eat a majority of the rcs babies?

Considering there is such a large mass of moss on one side of the tank I thought the rcs would still be able to multiply in relative peace with 4-6 lil tetras.

What do you guys think?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    The fish will eat the young shrimp. I wouldn't add any fish if you want to get young from your shrimp.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Very few fish can work in a shrimp tank. I have boraras maculatus/merah/brigittae in a thriving shrimp tank that work out well enough, though these fish are about 3/4" in size.

For feeding the shrimp, I usually feed maybe twice a week. They eat the leftovers that make it to the bottom of the tank and the occasional algae wafer. Sometimes I will add in a piece of zucchini. It doesn't take much to feed the shrimp, a little goes an extremely long way.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Im feeding mine daily at this point, however they only get 1 pellet thats around 1mm in diameter, so very little.

When i feed regular sized pellets I would feed around twice a week. Over feeding can quickly become a real pita in a shrimp tank, especially since you generally cant use a traditional siphon to clean. With that in mind, I would start out feeding less than what you feel is adequate and work your way up.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I might actually be moving these rcs to a 4 gallon tank that I built in order to clear up this 10 for a group of small tetra or something. Thanks for all the feeding and stocking info for the rcs everyone. I know I ask too many stupid questions, but thanks for the answers.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Curious
    I might actually be moving these rcs to a 4 gallon tank that I built in order to clear up this 10 for a group of small tetra or something. Thanks for all the feeding and stocking info for the rcs everyone. I know I ask too many stupid questions, but thanks for the answers.
    The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. At least you are asking and learning. I think we all went through that phase or still do:p