· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdj470
    I am same as BigBlak. I test my water every day and get the same readings. Ammonia level is 4-5 ppm, Nitrite is at 0 ppm. I too only let the Nitrite test sit for 5 minutes per the API instructions. So I should wait 10 minutes to get my reading?

I am new to this myself. Have a 29 gallon tank, AQ 70 filter with only foam media and Bio media. Temp in the tank is 85.8 (have a digital thermometer). I have not done any water changes, nor have cleaned my tank. Only thing I have done is topped off the water as the level drops.

As in other post on this forum. I talked about having bubbles forming on the top of my tank water. Some one suggested that I may have poured in to much dechlorinator. Which I did by my mistake I calculated I put enough in for a 120 gallon tank. I also read that putting in to much ammonia might cause the bubbles to form. I have checked and re-checked my ammonia bottle by shaking it. Bubbles form but go away right away. So there is no soap or perfume in my bottle. Is this possible?

On thing I do have is patience. It has only been three days since I started my fishless cycle. Is there way other then water tests to show something is happening?

Bill
    I would not expect to see nitrites for a week. Three days is much too soon.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I would not expect to see nitrites for a week. Three days is much too soon.
    Oops I'm sorry Lady Hobbs I just re-read my post. I made some errors.

It has not been three days since I started my fishless cycle. It has been nine days. I started my cycle on March 13 (late at night).

I will check again tomorrow my water parameters. I will be leaving my house very shortly and have no time.

Bill

P.S. Should I be concerned about the bubbles? These only appear with my lid closed.

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't especially if you used any dechlorinator with aloe or slime coating. They can bubble like that at times and especially if your ammonia bottle does not say "contains detergent". They must label it so if it's there, as well as "scented".

I would expect there to be nitrites by now or very, very soon.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK....I knew I had read that but didn't know if it was prior to starting your cycle or after. Are you sure you have added dechlorinator to each water change? Adding water with chlorine would kill any bacteria you had started to grow and set you back to day one, again. Other than that, I have no other suggestions.
    when i was changing my water to drop my ammonia level im not too sure i added conditioner to the water every time . because i ended up doing a 120% water change to drop the ammonia level ( 50% then add new water then another 50% then add then a 15-20% change then add) im not too sure i added conditioner each time so to get on track what should i do to i guess basically start over :( or figure out a way to know that the chlorine isnt still killing any bacteria trying to form ?

0 Not allowed!
    The tap water will deplete the chlorine in several hours but it will kill the bacteria that's trying to grow immediately. Do nothing now but make sure you add that dechlorinator every water change.

PS......If you forget that dechlorinator once you have fish, you will kill the fish. It's a must have unless you have well water.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tap water will deplete the chlorine in several hours but it will kill the bacteria that's trying to grow immediately. Do nothing now but make sure you add that dechlorinator every water change.

PS......If you forget that dechlorinator once you have fish, you will kill the fish. It's a must have unless you have well water.
    i didnt actually forget i just didnt add it for the fact i thought that the chlorine would kill the ammonia. at the time i was trying to drop the ammonia level. so i do nothing now since i added the conditioner ?

Awards Showcase

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy Merry Christmas - Northernguy Happy Birthday!!! - Jill For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20 
    Sorry about your rat. - cer for giving a sick rat a great life - frank_zappa so sorry about JR. - gabbyguppy This one is best! - Agassizii thanks for the motm nomination! - Lab_Rat 
    To another Scotty fan,thx for chatting. - smaug Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Sorry about Blaze - Rue thank you very much. - smaug 1 year at AC! - Northernguy 
    Thanks for all the help lately i really appreciate it. - octoxpuss cause  your  good - bushwhacker For the Camden Aquarium tour! - Rue Happy Easter! - Northernguy 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos 

0 Not allowed!
    By not adding dechorinater you killed off any bacteria you may have had. So now all you can do is wait. You basically 'reset' your cycle.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted