· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Getting Impatient PLZ HELP.

0 Not allowed!
    March 10TH !!! is the day my ammonia readings where on the chart in between 4ppm and 8ppm after my little incident of adding way too much . Now on March 22ND!!! im still not having no ammonia drop nor any other readings. Am i even doing this right ? My readings have been the same since March 10th. Ammonia 4ppm Nitrate/rite 0 and ph 7.6 is there something im not supposed to be running in my filter media during the cycle ? because im using everything that came with my canister???? the white and black pads and the blue sponge with the media things( the little balls and the little noodle looking things)that comes with it. 12 days and no process ? how do people do fishless cycling ? it especially hard for me because my tank is in my room right next to my bed and there no fish in it .

0 Not allowed!
    Have you added dechlorintor to your water when adding more? Is your heat turned on? Have you cleaned the filter out?

Cycling is such an easy thing but it seems to be made into such a hard thing.

You probably added way too much ammonia right from the beginning. That little filter pad can only hold so much bacteria. There's a whole lot of difference between 4 and 8 on your tester. One is green and one is nearly black-green. I suggest you do a water change of half the tank, add your dechlorintor and leave the tank alone other than testing once a day.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Have you added dechlorintor to your water when adding more? Is your heat turned on? Have you cleaned the filter out?

Cycling is such an easy thing but it seems to be made into such a hard thing.

You probably added way too much ammonia right from the beginning. That little filter pad can only hold so much bacteria. There's a whole lot of difference between 4 and 8 on your tester. One is green and one is nearly black-green. I suggest you do a water change of half the tank, add your dechlorintor and leave the tank alone other than testing once a day.
    so what i should clean out the filter ? my ammonia is at the 4ppm mark now so a water change would jus drop it more right ? by adding alot of ammonia in the beginning doe that mean i stalled my cycle ? if i clean my filte how should i go about doing that ?

0 Not allowed!
    Clean nothing! Leave the tank alone. I read you changed a filter not long ago, changed the substrate, moved plants around. You have got to leave the tank alone so it can grow that bacteria.

0 Not allowed!
    PS.....How long are you letting the nitrite solution sit before checking it? It takes about 10 minutes to get a proper reading.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    PS.....How long are you letting the nitrite solution sit before checking it? It takes about 10 minutes to get a proper reading.
    around the same time as the others. i shake it hard and let it sit for about 5 mins.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    but theres no ammonia drop so i know that there shouldnt be anything eles ? right ?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Clean nothing! Leave the tank alone. I read you changed a filter not long ago, changed the substrate, moved plants around. You have got to leave the tank alone so it can grow that bacteria.
    i remodeled my tank before i started the cycle and when i did that when i added way too much ammonia and since then all i did was do alot of water changes untill it dropped to chart readings. so since i did that i havnt touched the tank for 12 days only to test it

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am same as BigBlak. I test my water every day and get the same readings. Ammonia level is 4-5 ppm, Nitrite is at 0 ppm. I too only let the Nitrite test sit for 5 minutes per the API instructions. So I should wait 10 minutes to get my reading?

I am new to this myself. Have a 29 gallon tank, AQ 70 filter with only foam media and Bio media. Temp in the tank is 85.8 (have a digital thermometer). I have not done any water changes, nor have cleaned my tank. Only thing I have done is topped off the water as the level drops.

As in other post on this forum. I talked about having bubbles forming on the top of my tank water. Some one suggested that I may have poured in to much dechlorinator. Which I did by my mistake I calculated I put enough in for a 120 gallon tank. I also read that putting in to much ammonia might cause the bubbles to form. I have checked and re-checked my ammonia bottle by shaking it. Bubbles form but go away right away. So there is no soap or perfume in my bottle. Is this possible?

On thing I do have is patience. It has only been three days since I started my fishless cycle. Is there way other then water tests to show something is happening?

Bill

0 Not allowed!
    OK....I knew I had read that but didn't know if it was prior to starting your cycle or after. Are you sure you have added dechlorinator to each water change? Adding water with chlorine would kill any bacteria you had started to grow and set you back to day one, again. Other than that, I have no other suggestions.