· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default My turtles shell

0 Not allowed!
    So recently we noticed out turtle has white holes in his shell. we went to the pet store and got some calcium blocks and what not but searching around the net couldnt seem to find what this problem is. Anyone here have any idea what causes this?

Awards Showcase

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy Merry Christmas - Northernguy Happy Birthday!!! - Jill For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20 
    Sorry about your rat. - cer for giving a sick rat a great life - frank_zappa so sorry about JR. - gabbyguppy This one is best! - Agassizii thanks for the motm nomination! - Lab_Rat 
    To another Scotty fan,thx for chatting. - smaug Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Sorry about Blaze - Rue thank you very much. - smaug 1 year at AC! - Northernguy 
    Thanks for all the help lately i really appreciate it. - octoxpuss cause  your  good - bushwhacker For the Camden Aquarium tour! - Rue Happy Easter! - Northernguy 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos 

0 Not allowed!
    How old is your turtle, what type of turtle is it? What kind of set up do you have? Filter, temp, tank size, turtle's size, lighting, food, water changes? It sounds like shell rot. It is usually casued because of unhealthy living conditions. If you can please answer the above questions I can help you fix the problems.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    definitely sounds like shell rot and I would venture to guess that you don't have anything producing UVB light above there habitat. Correct?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so his my parents turtle so im going to be guessing on most aspects of this response lol. the turtle is about 20 odd years old and the tank size is pretty big I would be completely guessing the litre size but its about a metre long and half a metre wide... Now we dont use a heater and werent using a light until just recently (the last week) we put a new globe back in and starting using that again. the tank also has a filter and plant life and what not. Any help is greatly appreciated.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I forgot to mention the turtle himself is a shortneck with a shell span of about 15-20cm

Awards Showcase

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy Merry Christmas - Northernguy Happy Birthday!!! - Jill For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20 
    Sorry about your rat. - cer for giving a sick rat a great life - frank_zappa so sorry about JR. - gabbyguppy This one is best! - Agassizii thanks for the motm nomination! - Lab_Rat 
    To another Scotty fan,thx for chatting. - smaug Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Sorry about Blaze - Rue thank you very much. - smaug 1 year at AC! - Northernguy 
    Thanks for all the help lately i really appreciate it. - octoxpuss cause  your  good - bushwhacker For the Camden Aquarium tour! - Rue Happy Easter! - Northernguy 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos 

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of filter? What about water changes. Turtles produce a lot of waste and even with a filter you will still need to do water changes. The ammonia levels can raise quickly. What is the temp? Turtles need a basking spot with a temp around 80-85F and very very important to have UV lighting too. A strip light made for reptiles is best, there are also murcury vapor light. I do not like the compact bulbs. Some of them give off dangerous UV waves and I have had three animals killed by them. Is this turtle kept inside or out?
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    they picked up a new filter the other day under advice and the uvb light is 5.0. his inside but has a basking area inside the tank but no heater. with the changes we have made to the tank is it a matter of wait and see or should we be picking up a heater and maybe getting it seen too?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So the UVB 5.0 bulb was just added? Or you've had it for a while? It has to be replaced like every 6 months or so. The box should say. Have you given the turtle any calcium supplement? Do you have a cuttlebone?

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    It takes a long time for a calcium deficiency to show itself in the form of shell damage...

It takes even longer to repair that damage if it's even possible.

Take that turtle to a vet that specializes in exotics...it will need a lifetime of proper care from this point forward to survive...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just an update here after following the advice of the guys on here his shell has improved massively recently. Still in recovery stage but his definately improving every day so a big thanks to everyone who helped rep for you all and thanks for taking the time to reply!