· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation I got to thinking....

0 Not allowed!
    So I was replying to another post about cycling aquariums and had a thought. Since we are truly cycling the filter and not the tank, why do we need a tank to start cycling the filter?

If you get a 1-3 gallon bucket or similar container, put your heater in it, and you could cycle a filter and have it ready when it's time for fish. This way you could easily do a fishless cycle with an exact amount of water, dosing only very tiny amounts of ammonia and keeping the water topped off... All of this in a tiny space either near by or off in an unused room, out of the way.

Once the filter's established you can set everything up and put fish in and never have to sit and stare at that empty, cycling tank, and constantly feeling the urge to run out and get "JUST ONE" fish... heh

What do you think?

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    The filter media will house bacteria, but it will also grow on pretty much every surface in the aquarium as well. Not only the substrate, also the ornaments and even the glass will be colonized by the nitrifying bacteria. I use air-driven sponge filters along with hob or canister filters on nearly all my tanks. If the hob doesn't restart after a power outage or a cansiter is barely moving water because it needs cleaned the air-driven sponge filter will keep the tank going w/out any problems until the other filter is back in action.
    The aquaclear 70 on my 38 is the main offender for the impeller needing bumped after a power blink. The last time that happened I didn't notice it right away because the shop light was hanging too low to see the outflow. When I realized it needed restarted the filter smelled like a swamp from sitting idle, probably for a couple days. There were almost 90 2" BN juvies as well as the L-10a breeding group in the tank at the time. Between the sponge filter and 1/3 tank full of hornwort the fish didn't seem to notice.
    I never cycle a tank from scratch, just swap some filter media and a sponge filter from an established tank. Some endler's or rosy reds from the backyard pond for a week or so to fully establish the tank, and it's ready to stock. I also keep fast-growing plants like Najas, hornwort, duckweed, or frogbit in the tanks to help with water quality.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    The idea would work. It is doing the same thing. You would still want the tank to season a bit before adding the delicate fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, it will grow on every surface eventually. But is it not the bacteria in the filter that do most of the work and will that surface growth not take place quickly after the introduction of the cycled filter?

If you keep a sponge filter running in the tank all the time then that filter is cycled as well and would carry on when the other failed to restart.

I agree that using established media is the quickest way to set up a working bio-filter if you don't have another tank or source for the cycled media you're still out of luck.

Sark

10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rich311k
    The idea would work. It is doing the same thing. You would still want the tank to season a bit before adding the delicate fish.
    Define "season". I know what you mean, but are you so sure? Of course as stated above, bacteria of different types will grow in various places in the tank. But what if you're using just a tank and filter. No substrate and no decorations, as most breeders keep their tanks. These types of setups are used to breed and rear Discus fish and other very delicate critters.

Sark

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    If you seeded the media in a bucket, when you are ready start the tank. Add a few fish let it go for a week or two, you should be cycled have a nice micro film going and be ready to stock the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not talking about using seeded media at all, I'm talking about using a bucket and doing a fishless cycle with ammonia, as stated in the OP.

Sure, if you have seeded media, that's the way to go. But we get a lot of people on here that don't have access to it and are tempted to go the fish in cycling route instead of looking at an empty tank for a month or more.

Sark

0 Not allowed!
    I guess I can't find any reason a person would want to cycle a pail when they could be cycling a tank in the same amount of time. At the very least, be cycling a small tank that people should really have as a quarantine/hospital/breeder tank on hand anyway.

I run a sponge filter in my main tanks that are ready incase I want to add the seasoned sponge to another tank or a quarantine/breeder/hospital tank. It's ready whenever. But honestly, I can see no benefit of trying to season a filter in a pail.

0 Not allowed!
    I think I explained why above...

just nevermind...

Sark

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, so I would give it a try. The bacteria in the filter won't know of course that they're only in a small container and not in a tank!

Also the bacteria in the filter are pretty powerful and I've found that I've only needed half of them to keep my ammonia and nitrite at zero. I found this when I replaced half of the old sponge in my filter with new filter floss. I was expecting this might disrupt things and I'd have to do some water changes a bit but it did not. The remaining filter sponge was only about 10 x 10 x 10 cm but it was enough to keep my water parameters for 5 guppies, two platies, two small bristlenoses and a Siamese fighter fine.