· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 80 gallon fishless cycle questions

0 Not allowed!
    So, i'm doing a fishless cycle on my new 80 gallon aquarium. And this has what i've done,

Put a bunch of two different types of fish food, a flake, and a pellet. I've cleaned out the water from my 25 gallon, taken all the poop and leaves from plants and put that water into it, to try and get the ammonia started. I have the heater, and the filter from my 25 gallon aquarium in the tank in the middle, i also have an air stone bubbling. The filter has 3 porous sponges in the filter. And my sand substrate is in. Am i doing this right?

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like your off to a good start. If you have no fish in there, I would use ammonia instead of fish food. You can by some from Safeway the next time your in the city. Its in a bottle labeled "ammonia hyrdoxide" . You can still use the fish food, it will just take a little longer. Keep testing the water daily to maintain your ammounia at about 4ppm. When you your nitrites stop increasing and you and start seeing nitrate, lower the ammoina to about 1 to 2ppm until it has been cycled.

Just don't get the leamon sented stuff. This will noly cost abbout $3.00

If you still have fish in you 20 gallon (the one you took the filter media from) I would put it back and watch the parmeters closely

Hope this helps
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Is there a way i can get my ammonia started without putting direct ammonia in it? Because i don't got any here. Is there some house hold things i can put in the tank to make ammonia?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ippielb
    Is there a way i can get my ammonia started without putting direct ammonia in it? Because i don't got any here. Is there some house hold things i can put in the tank to make ammonia?
    Unless you have pure ammonia, just stick to a pinch of fish food every other day.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    Fish food, raw shrimp, peice of fish. Anything like that will work. Your best bet is to put 2-3 raw shrimp in a mesh bag and use that.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have fish caught from a lake, if i take a chunck of that and put it in a mesh bag, how long will that supply ammonia?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes it would definitely produce ammonia. Anything with a significant amount of protein in it will produce ammonia as it decays. My only concern would be that fish flesh could possibly contain fish parasites or diseases. I don't know how likely it would be for infection, but fish food would be safer as it is sterilised.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, you can cycle with a piece of fish meat. Put it in a piece of nylon and anchor to the bottom of the tank or it will stink your house up. Still may!

If you can get a bottle of pure ammonia, do so. You get the levels you want to start cycling right away rather than waiting on fish or food to rot. You'd be eliminating a lot of time off that cycle schedule.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll see if i can get someone to buy it for me today.

Thanks, i'll think i'll try the ammonia, because my ammonia wasn't showing up yet.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bought ammonia, got impatient, here's my stats.

Ammonia 5.0
    Nitrite 0.8
    Nitrate 20

Could these readings be from the ammonia i just added?