· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquariums+me=happy
    You make a 10 gal. look like a deluxe 30, nice job.

I also have some argentine sword and when i got it was told it was an annual? Does this mean I will have to replace it or will it repopulate by root division?
    It should grow out on its own from what I can tell, I did get a few new leaves that grew out, but they never really got big or looked healthy for too long. Strangely enough, plant geek nor the book I have on plants has anything about the Argentine sword. One site I found here, says that they may not grow well in hard water, which I know my water definitely is. None of the sword/echinodorus type species I've tried in my tank so far have worked that well, so I'm just staying away from them now. I honestly don't have the height to make them work in the long run, anyway.
    Last edited by SunSchein89; 05-19-2010 at 07:43 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rich311k
    Nice looking tank.
    Thanks . I wish I could figure out how to take pictures like yours . Any plant in my tank that isn't dark green gets washed out by the light and you can't see many of the subtle color changes and details that I get to see in person. I honestly think the tank would look twice as good if I could figure out how to get these pictures to turn out better.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what kinds of puffer is that? It's really cute!
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
    what kinds of puffer is that? It's really cute!
    It's a dwarf puffer (aka: Pygmy Puffer, Indian Puffer, Pea Puffer, Malabar Puffer). They max out at about 1" in length and it's completely freshwater unlike most other puffers you'll find out there. They can be pretty aggressive, though, and most people recommend to keep them in species only tanks. They're notorious for their nipping and me being able to keep mine with a betta has been pretty surprising to say the least. Heavily planted tanks help keep their aggression down, even among their own species, since their line of sight gets broken up more. I've had him in this tank for over two months now with no problems, but I still check constantly for nipped fins. He's definitely one of my favorites. Shh... don't tell my other fish

0 Not allowed!
    Tank looks good, nice growth on the plants.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

0 Not allowed!
    Tank is looking great!
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta
    Lack of planning on your part doesn't justify an emergency on my part.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing special to add really. Just took a picture today and noticed I happened to do it right on day number 100. Figured it may be worth posting. Also, if anyone hasn't seen my other thread asking what my two new plants are, if you have any idea please do tell. I'll post day 94 again here so you can see the new growth in a week without having to go back to the last page. I've already trimmed my hornwort at least three times or so, that stuff grows like no other.

Day 94 (again)

Day 100 (today)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, this is big news in my book, but probably not so much in yours . I finally figured out how to tweak the settings on the camera to get my pictures as close to realistic as I think the camera will allow.

Oh, and I also officially converted my 20 gallon tank to a planted tank today, so here is the link to my new journal for that as well if you're interested...
    SunSchein89's 20 gal. (now planted) journal

Day 104. So here is the picture of my tank as you normally would have seen it in my updates.

And now, the more realistic-looking, not-washed-out version . This is about as realistic to what I see as I could get it. There may be a few more settings I could mess with that I'm not aware of, but this is a major improvement compared to what my other pictures look like.

It's still very slightly washed out at the immediate top of the water level and the color isn't exactly dead on to what I'm seeing, but it's pretty damn close. Anyway, I'm happy I finally figured this stuff out lol. I'll have to try tweaking a few more things on the next camera shoot to see if I can get some actual life-like pictures.

Edit: and I just realized that if you click on the picture to enlarge it, it looks a lot clearer than it does in the thread. It doesn't even get noticeably bigger, but the clarity improves. I'd recommend clicking on any of the pictures you want to get a clearer look at.
    Last edited by SunSchein89; 05-30-2010 at 09:26 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Tank is coming along great. Guess that otto is happy to now have plants to suck on rather than the frog. LOL

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not really much to report at this point. The tank kind of reached a climax and there's not much more I can do to it. I did, however, move the betta out of the tank and into my 20 gal. My puffer finally started getting aggressive and was nipping at him; knew it was too good to be true . Keeping an eye on the harlequins, but they seem to be avoiding him well enough for now.

Anyway, today I did a lot of trimming to let some of the plants grow and fill out the tank better, especially with my hornwort which likes to get brown anywhere that's not on the surface. My other mystery plant is taking off just as well and I think I may replace the hornwort entirely with it, I think it looks nicer anyway.

Day 136

Doesn't look so pretty right now and I didn't have time to mess with the camera settings again, so the next update will probably be when it fills out and I have some time to take some better pictures again
    20 and 10 gallon community tanks, 5.5 gallon dwarf gourami tank
    Red tail boa, Corn snake, Albino Nelson's milksnake
    Fire belly toads (2), Red eye tree frogs (2), Antilles pinktoe tarantula
    Mourning gecko, Electric blue gecko, Crested gecko, Mali uromastyx