· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default What kind of frogs do i have??

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I started a new tank recently (it is near the end of the cycling process I believe..). It's a 46 gallon bow front tank and my goal is to get two parrot cichlids. I bought some tiger barbs but realized that they will most likely target the cichlids bc they aren't as aggressive as other cichlids do to their supposed deformities due to being hybrids. I decided to pick up some frogs because they look cool. I got three that looked like albino frogs..but with a slight color to them. At the pet store they were labeled as "candy frogs". They are very small and have the same body structure and size as an albino frog. One is green and two are a pinkish/orangish. I will include a few pictures for help. My question is..what exactly are these frogs? I hope they aren't some sort of man-made dyed thing..bc i don't approve of that. My next question is, will they peacefully coexist with two parrot cichlids in this size of a tank? AHH help please! thanks!http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...feat=directlin

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    They look like clawed frogs.Im sure there not dwarf africans.The parrots may or may not have issues with the frogs.They couldnt hurt them but if there harrassment of them turns constant it will stress the frogs to the point of illness.Next time do some research before buying,it saves headaches.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Ya know... I'm looking at these "Candy Frogs" and they look like African Clawed Frogs that've maybe been dyed! Are they actually dying frogs too, now? If those are Clawed Frogs they'll get upwards of six inches or so and will try to eat ANYTHING that fits in their mouth and then some.

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    They could easily be dying frogs,it would take to them the same as fish in the same gawd awful way.
    indeed it is,I just googled this.They are dyed.
    http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Frog,%20311.jpg picture
    http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=56460 forum thread
    Last edited by smaug; 03-20-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I feel a "very pissed off" coming on... grrrrrrrrr....

Sark

10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Marbles! - Brhino   Time for a fish for your AC tank! - Rue   Happy Birthday 2010 - R2 Ranch   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   nice journal - Crispy   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - rothenb1   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - rothenb1   

0 Not allowed!
    They are absolutely dying frogs nowadays. At the pet store where I work we got a shipment of those exact frogs, colored in this kind of dilute purple, pink, green, blue, etc. I'm not trying to be nasty but I think it is common sense that frogs... don't come in those colors?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    They are dyed, I would return them and let the store know why. Besides that african clawed frogs can get fairly large and will try to eat anything they can get into thier mouths. If they can not get the whole thing in at once they will wait untill part is digested and then swollow more. You may also have problems with the parrots picking on the frogs. And frogs can get infections/fungas easily. ACF do best in a species only tank, for thier own safety and the fishes.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Drip Method?  Not! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I have two African Dwarf Frogs and these are not it. I also accepted a variety of free aquatic life from a local that was selling their 55g and giving away the fish. Included was an Albino African Clawed Frog. When I accepted it, I thought it would make a nice addition to my tank, but knew nothing about it.

Over the next weeks my fish disappeared one by one and I was puzzled as to what was happening. Well until I found the Clawed frog with a large tiger barb stuck in his mouth sideways. He could not swallow it as it was way to big and he could not spit it out because of the scales. He ate anything and everything. I finally gave him away so I could fish.
    125g Planted Community - Rena XP-4, Rena XP3
    Angels, Dora Cory Cats, Glass Cat Fish, Gouramis, Scissor Tails, High Fin Black Skirt Tetras, Snails
    30g Working Tank as needed
    20g Planted Community - AC-70 Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, Dwarf African Frogs, Bamboo Shrimp, Snails
    1g 1 Siamese Fighting Fish, Snails
    Aquarium Resources Angel Fish Breeding Modifying Water Chemistry Pest Snail Control

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Welcome to the site! - Aeonflame   Best of luck with the plants! - MCHRKiller   Thanks for the help! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    I have an ACF. He is full grown now,his body is the size of my palm and when he was actually smaller than he is now about a year ago,he ate my other ACF whole. Swallowed him head first,took about a day to get it all in his gullet. I was in shock,and very upset. He's in a tank by himself now. They even eat each other.
    50g hex mixed com,30g parrot,5g ACF,16g bow planted. More to come!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rothenb1
    They are absolutely dying frogs nowadays. At the pet store where I work we got a shipment of those exact frogs, colored in this kind of dilute purple, pink, green, blue, etc. I'm not trying to be nasty but I think it is common sense that frogs... don't come in those colors?
    You'd think that but the average person's knowledge of the natural world is abysmal. Some possibly think that they're some relative of Poison Dart Frogs. It's easy to make money off of the ignorant, and let's face it, if they're not above injuring/poisoning/killing animals to make a profit then they're not above taking money from the ignorant. All you can do is try to inform the public when you get a chance.

Sark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast