· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Loosing Him?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For the tank. - ranubis89   great pics of Moose! - Jill   Sorry about Moose - annageckos   Thanks for the nomination! - Lab_Rat   

Default Loosing Him?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm afraid that I'm loosing my betta, Moose. He's been doing so well, and I haven't had any problems with him until very recently. I've noticed that he was being much lazier than normal, which I assumed was boredom. I started to put a mirror up for him for a few minutes a day, and he'd flare and act normal, so I didn't think much of it. But yesterday I noticed that his laziness is turning into clumsiness. Rather than his usual lazy attitude of just resting on the bottom, I've noticed that he's been tilting on his side, and sitting with his nose down. His gills I've noticed also seem swollen, or enlarged, almost as if he flared and didn't get his beard to go back up in his throat. I am about to leave for spring break and I was planning on leaving him for the week, but now I'm concerned and decided that I will take him with me incase anything happens. I just did a water change yesterday (I did a 50% change, refilled the tank, and then did another 50% change because I was a few days late on it and there was a lot of muck to vacuum up), and I haven't checked the tank parameters, but I will post them later today.

Edit: His color is still very bright.
    10g Community planted [java fern, anubias nana, crypts, vals]; male HMP betta [Carcharias], lophiobagrus catfish, blood-fin tetras, ember tetras
    Journal

3g Planted [java fern, crypt]; male delta tail red dragon [Asmodeus]

30g Planned African community with kribs, African Butterfly Fish and dither

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For the tank. - ranubis89   great pics of Moose! - Jill   Sorry about Moose - annageckos   Thanks for the nomination! - Lab_Rat   

0 Not allowed!
    I think this is really urgent. He's just laying on his side barely breathing now. He'll occasionally dart up to the surface like he's struggling, but then he'll drift down. I don't think he's going to last much longer. Just took parameters, Nitrite is 0, Ammonia was a little above zero so I just did another water change.
    10g Community planted [java fern, anubias nana, crypts, vals]; male HMP betta [Carcharias], lophiobagrus catfish, blood-fin tetras, ember tetras
    Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    He just passed on.

RIP.
    Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear that. How long did you have him for? Was he full grown when you got him? He could have been old. The other thing is bettas are so mass produced that their health and lifespan suffers. The conditions he was in before you got him could have played a roll too.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm assuming he was full grown. I had him for about seven months or so. It could have been age/poor health in general because I've heard a lot of people having bettas for just a few months in great conditions. Now that I can see him better it looks like he had something caught in his throat. If I end up doing a mini autopsy we'll see. I don't think it could be old age because his color was still so brilliant.
    Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    My boyfriend had a betta for three or four years. When he died, his colors where just as bold and vibrant as when he was young. Normal livespan for bettas can be anywhere from a year upto five on rare occassions. If he was full grown when you got him you don't know how old he was.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted