· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No one has heard of cycling a fish tank! Why?

0 Not allowed!
    My mom has four 55 gallon tanks and a few small ones.

My friend has a 30 gallon tank.

My coworker has two 10 gallon tanks and a 20 gallon.

None of these people have ever heard about the cycle of a fish tank. They all started from scratch and just put fish in the tank. My mom, friend, and coworker all have had their tanks for years and their fish have always been perfectly fine.

Why is this? How is it possible that these successful fish keepers don't even know what a cycle or nitrogen cycle is. None of them have heard of nitrites or nitrates before. They all laugh at me.

What's the deal here. I already know that completing a cycle is vital for fish health, but how come they were clueless and they had perfect fish? They all have angelfish, tetras, tiger barbs, mollies, and loaches. What's the story? haha
    55 Gl: 15 African Cichlids, 2 Synodontis -
    Filters - Aquaclear 110 and PennPlax 700
    Watch a Video of My Cichlid Aquarium!

29 Gl: 1 Black Moor, 1 Fantail Goldfish -
    Filters - Aquaclear 70
    Watch a Video of My Goldfish Aquarium!

0 Not allowed!
    Because things are different from what they were years ago. When the fishless cycle got a footing into the hobby, people learned that they could cycle a fishtank in a couple weeks, stock it fully and be done with it. Others, before knowing the benefit of cycling first, stocked slowly, did 100 water changes and didn't have a cycled tank for 3 months.

You still do not need to cycle and can cycle with your fish if you do it right. It's just harder on the fish.

Many years back, in Asia, people kept fish without filters or heaters. They just did big water changes every other day. Does that mean that not having heaters or filters now is OK because back then they did not?

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Most people used to go through what they called "new tank syndrome" in which they add fish and they die off and they keep doing that until one day the die-off stops. (Cycling done)

Its cycling a tank with fish and not doing waterchanges, in other words cycling the tank at the cost of living animals when a hose is right there... just, perhaps the knowledge was not.

The good news is, now the knowledge is out there and quite available with the internet

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Because things are different from what they were years ago. When the fishless cycle got a footing into the hobby, people learned that they could cycle a fishtank in a couple weeks, stock it fully and be done with it. Others, before knowing the benefit of cycling first, stocked slowly, did 100 water changes and didn't have a cycled tank for 3 months.

You still do not need to cycle and can cycle with your fish if you do it right. It's just harder on the fish.

Many years back, in Asia, people kept fish without filters or heaters. They just did big water changes every other day. Does that mean that not having heaters or filters now is OK because back then they did not?
    This is awesome. Thanks for the information about filters and stuff. I mean, it's obvious thinking about it now, but it's interesting.

So now I'm on a thinking spree.

Asia: No Filters ----> Huge Water Changes fixed it

Recently: Slow and Gradual Fish Cycle ----> Ammonia fishless cycle fixed it

Now that we have fixed the issue with filters, cycling, and such... their is one major issue still present.... Water changes for Nitrates.

We should develop a new way to prevent water changes... something that either stabilizes nitrates or does the water changes for us.

What if we created a pump that on a time clock schedule calculated the specific amount of water to be changed on a weekly basis. For instance, a pump that was connected to the tank that took out 25% and then put 25% back in automatically every week.

I'm just bored at work thinking, but do you think it could be possible.

It could be far fetched, but people probably thought ammonia drops in water was far fetched and ridiculous when it first came out as well.
    55 Gl: 15 African Cichlids, 2 Synodontis -
    Filters - Aquaclear 110 and PennPlax 700
    Watch a Video of My Cichlid Aquarium!

29 Gl: 1 Black Moor, 1 Fantail Goldfish -
    Filters - Aquaclear 70
    Watch a Video of My Goldfish Aquarium!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SW Florida Kid
    This is awesome. Thanks for the information about filters and stuff. I mean, it's obvious thinking about it now, but it's interesting.

So now I'm on a thinking spree.

Asia: No Filters ----> Huge Water Changes fixed it

Recently: Slow and Gradual Fish Cycle ----> Ammonia fishless cycle fixed it

Now that we have fixed the issue with filters, cycling, and such... their is one major issue still present.... Water changes for Nitrates.

We should develop a new way to prevent water changes... something that either stabilizes nitrates or does the water changes for us.

What if we created a pump that on a time clock schedule calculated the specific amount of water to be changed on a weekly basis. For instance, a pump that was connected to the tank that took out 25% and then put 25% back in automatically every week.

I'm just bored at work thinking, but do you think it could be possible.

It could be far fetched, but people probably thought ammonia drops in water was far fetched and ridiculous when it first came out as well.

They do have systems that do auto water changes. Usually custom set ups though.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

0 Not allowed!
    I really hate to date myslef like this, but until a short while ago, I never heard of it either. When I started in the hobby, I only heard of the "new tank syndrome" as other has explained. Then by spending years of going to big chain LSF with employees to knew less than me, I didn't learn about cycling until I went to a LFS that had a employee with excellent knowledge.

Now that I know better, I'm a little surprised by the amount of poeple who look at me like I have two heats when I talk about cycling
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They do have systems that do auto water changes. Usually custom set ups though.
    costom setups iv heard of iv heard usually involve turning the valve n regulating water input and output...( input, hose connect to tap. output, hose leading out to garden) Never heard of auto water chages.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    I got my start by getting a hand-me-down tank from a friend. He helped me fill it up with water and told me I needed a dechlorinator. I went to the fish store the next day and told them I wanted some fish. The employee asked me how long the tank had been set up, seemed a little distressed, and then gave me a bottle of cycling bacteria*. I had never heard of cycling, and I'm not sure my friend who I got the tank from had either. The common perception is that you can take water, put fish in it, and you have a fish tank! It takes a good bit more reading to start to learn that there are healthier but more time consuming ways of doing things.

*I know now that the BEST thing that employee could have done would have been to send me home with some ammonia, a test kit, and no fish, but a store has to make a profit and I imagine taking a hard line on fishless cycling would be bad for business. She did advise me to get only a few fish and not to add to it for a while. I think the bottled bacteria doesn't have a very good rep on these forums but it seemed to do the job fairly well.

Also - my wife had a fish tank when she was a kid. Her father made her take all the fish out once a week, and clean the tank (presumably with soap or some other kind of cleaning agent), then put the fish back in with new water. Can't imagine how those fish lived for any significant length of time.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy Merry Christmas - Northernguy Happy Birthday!!! - Jill For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20 
    Sorry about your rat. - cer for giving a sick rat a great life - frank_zappa so sorry about JR. - gabbyguppy This one is best! - Agassizii thanks for the motm nomination! - Lab_Rat 
    To another Scotty fan,thx for chatting. - smaug Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Sorry about Blaze - Rue thank you very much. - smaug 1 year at AC! - Northernguy 
    Thanks for all the help lately i really appreciate it. - octoxpuss cause  your  good - bushwhacker For the Camden Aquarium tour! - Rue Happy Easter! - Northernguy 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos 

0 Not allowed!
    Water changes do more than just taking out nitrates. It also removes hormones/phermones released by the fish and replaces electolights and minrules.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

0 Not allowed!
    I'm making long term plans for my 135G tank. I'm going all DIY to cut costs but it's going to eventually change out 5-10Gal of water a day and autofill with RO. It's not really complicated to make a system that automatically does water changes, you just need a supply and waste water lines to handle the water. A float in the sump handles refilling and a tiny powerhead/pump on a timer handles getting rid of tank water.

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube