· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishless Cycle

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fish00053
    I did add 3 bottles of one and only Nitrifying Bacteria. Was that a mistake. instantly creates a bio-filter but removes toxic ammonia and nitrite, to prevent new tank syndrome. Did that prior to reading about fishless cycling.

If you followed the directions on "one and only Nitrifying Bacteria" you should be very close to cycled.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ammonia levels are reading at bottom of scale. Close to 8. Very dark green on card. If I don't see nitrites tomorrow I might think the additives prior to starting fishless cycle may have inhibited the fishless cycle. I didn't know about the fishless cycle till after I dumped in the one and only Nitrifying Bacteria. That is suppose to instantly create a bio-filter that naturally removes toxic ammonia and nitrite. Not sure what to do.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fish here trying to figure out approximately how long fishless cycle will take. Only third full day and ammonia levels are very high. 75 gallon FW tank. Added 3 1/2 teaspoons of ammonia this morning. Anticipate nitrite to start today. Any suggestions, or is this just a time thing?
    to calculate the time to the closest day you need to follow the guids and use the a test kit that tells you how much ammonia and keep it at the proper level.
    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

"GoT FiSh?"

4. Cool Fishless Cycle

0 Not allowed!
    Hey fish here. Finally a trace of Nitrite. 5th day. Their may be hope for me yet. Found a product for algae. Phosphur. Eliminates phospurus completely and immediately. Seen dead algae in 3 days. Impressed with product. Also using fluval phosphate bags in my one container. They can be recharged one time. Reduces phosphate from water. Kinda pricey but works.

Awards Showcase

your first fish - Lady Hobbs A gift to my mates. - mac Did you say tankards?  LOL - sandy_n To your first almost cycled tank - Lady Hobbs No Message - korith 
    For your funny posts. Every thread I giggle - Gemini For making me laugh!!! - Sharon Cheers Mith - slimey Congrats on your cycled almost tank - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs 
    stocking - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs 
    stocking - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs fill out the colony - Algenco WC kitumba - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    I have only recently heard the word, "Phosphate" used and that was in referance to plants. Are you doing plants? I have a bottle of phosphate, iron and excel (all made buy Flourish). The phospate and iron I guess are nutrients for plants whilst the excel is for controlling algae.
    Yup, I got fish!

Awards Showcase

your first fish - Lady Hobbs A gift to my mates. - mac Did you say tankards?  LOL - sandy_n To your first almost cycled tank - Lady Hobbs No Message - korith 
    For your funny posts. Every thread I giggle - Gemini For making me laugh!!! - Sharon Cheers Mith - slimey Congrats on your cycled almost tank - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs 
    stocking - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs 
    stocking - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs stocking - Lady Hobbs fill out the colony - Algenco WC kitumba - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I cycled, more than once, in just over two weeks. I think you should see nitrites within the first week but you said your ammonia was VERY high. How high is that? 4-5 on your tester is a good start point.

Seems to me it wasn't too long ago you helped some biker retard cycle his tank... what ever happened to him?
    Yup, I got fish!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Phosphur is a chemical that eliminates the Phospurhus. Inhibits the algae growing process that removes what they like. In addition I use In addition to the liquid chemical I use the bags made by fluval. Each bag will eliminate or bring down the level so it will not promote growth. I have five bags in my fluval. Enough for a 125 gallon tank. Can be recharged one time by rinsing under water. A friend told me to control the phosphate and you can control the algae.

0 Not allowed!
    Ammonia levels are reading at bottom of scale. Close to 8. Very dark green on card. If I don't see nitrites tomorrow I might think the additives prior to starting fishless cycle may have inhibited the fishless cycle. I didn't know about the fishless cycle till after I dumped in the one and only Nitrifying Bacteria. That is suppose to instantly create a bio-filter that naturally removes toxic ammonia and nitrite. Not sure what to do.
    Your ammonia level of 8 is at the top of the scale, not bottom. I would be curious how much ammonia was poured in this tank because with all that bacteria booster you used, it would be hard to get a true reading. Ammonia levels should only be 5 at the start of your cycle and reduced to half that once nitrites appear on your tester.

My tester only goes to 8 so if you are showing 8 you could actually have ammonia levels much higher?

You have to be careful not to try to rush a cycle and let that bacteria grow or you will have the cycle crash. The bacteria needs to grow in your filter media and build up a good supply that can sustain your stock.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd do a partial water change to bring the ammonia back down to ~ 5ppm because with ammonia it's not the more the merrier, too much can slow the cycling process.

Especially as Lady Hobbs said, if you're showing 8ppm ammonia and your scale only goes up to 8ppm, you could have much more ammonia in there than 8 but the scale can't show it.