· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    THanks, maybe I will give it a try. So what exactly kills it? Does it just kill the stuff you squirt it directly on, or does it mixing with and spreading throughout the water in the tank kill it? I am just wondering how careful I have to be in hitting the alage with it.
    50 gallon planted low tech tank with driftwood

Inhabitants:

3 honey gouramis
    11 harlequin rasboras
    9 cardinal and neon tetras
    4 otos
    5 sterbai corys
    1 bristlenose pleco
    1 bamboo shrimp and a whole bunch of red cherry shrimp!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Does Excel help this? I am asking because I have been dosing one capful every other day, but then tried two a day for a couple times and I just realized there wasn't as much on some of the leaves. It looks like some went away. Does that actually work or am I just imagining things?

Inhabitants:

3 honey gouramis
    11 harlequin rasboras
    4 otos
    5 sterbai corys
    1 bristlenose pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed a gift! - Agassizii   Thanks - Celtic Fins   and another one - Celtic Fins   Great tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Does Excel help this? I am asking because I have been dosing one capful every other day, but then tried two a day for a couple times and I just realized there wasn't as much on some of the leaves. It looks like some went away. Does that actually work or am I just imagining things?

Excel will help " eventually" just do not o/d the tank with it. As previously stated the one thing that got rid of mine were the SAE's, also note my Royal Whiptail loves the stuff too.
    Paul

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Just double dose Excel daily and it'll go away. It'll take a while but it will kill it off. I've done bleach and I've done Peroxide (out of the tank) and both will bleach the colour out of the plant and/or kill the plant if left in too long. Use the Excel and wait it out as it'll wipe out every bit of BBA in the tank.

Sark

EDIT: Up the dosage over a few days so you don't shock your fish.

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! Well done too! lol - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    If you're going to use Excel in a syringe, DONT apply it full strength to the plant. From experience, it will kill the plant.

Instead, suck up an amount of excel in the syringe and then suck up an equal amount of tank water, making a 50-50 dilution.

The BBA will still die, overnight instead of immediately, but the plants wont be affected. It does a good job at killing BBA. Thats how I got rid of it in my tank. Instead of just dumping the daily Excel dose in the tank, I targetted it onto the BBA.

BTW, it turns a bright pink when dead. Sort of psychedelic looking.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thanks I'll give that a try or maybe the peroxide. Just to make sure I understand this right, you do squirt it on the plants while they are underwater, right? And that still works? I would thinkg that it might just dillute into the water. So I just wanted to clarify that.

And if I do use peroxide, do you have to do a water change afterwards, or does it just dillute into the water leaving the water safe?

Inhabitants:

3 honey gouramis
    11 harlequin rasboras
    4 otos
    5 sterbai corys
    1 bristlenose pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thanks I'll give that a try or maybe the peroxide. Just to make sure I understand this right, you do squirt it on the plants while they are underwater, right? And that still works? I would thinkg that it might just dillute into the water. So I just wanted to clarify that.

And if I do use peroxide, do you have to do a water change afterwards, or does it just dillute into the water leaving the water safe?
    Yup you got the idea, turkey baster works well.

Nope no wc needed. Peroxide is H2O2 (2 hydrogens and 2 oxygens) the reaction is the extra molecule oxidizing.

Ive never stained a plant when spot treating with peroxide, but both excel and peroxide can melt plants if you use too much. Its also debated whether or not excel will harm invertebrates, so overdosing excel would be my last resort since im an invert nut

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the articles to combat algae :) - Gemini   For the great article! - dragoonwoman   

0 Not allowed!
    Don't the SAE's get pretty big though?
    You’re attacking the symptom and not the cause. You have a nutrient deficiency.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What do I need to supply this? I thought I covered this before with another post, but I have been dosing Flourish once a week as per directions, and excel every other day. I was doing Leaf Zone once a week too but stopped because I wasn't sure if that was causing this problem or not because it seemed to start around the same time I started that. But I am guessing now it is unrelated. I know when I test the water, I never have any nitrates, even after a week or so, then I end up doing the PWC anyways. Does it sound like the plants are using it all up and I need more? If so, what is a product that supplies that? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Plant Man
    You’re attacking the symptom and not the cause. You have a nutrient deficiency.

Inhabitants:

3 honey gouramis
    11 harlequin rasboras
    4 otos
    5 sterbai corys
    1 bristlenose pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    You could be having my problem......high phosphates in your water supply. You should probably test for phosphates and if they are high start using a phosphate/silicate remover in your filter.

I am, of late, fighting BBA almost constantly. I added CO2, cut lights back to 10 hours, cut off the ferts and still it continues. Added back the ferts with no help there. No nitrates here, either.

I've been thinking of trying Excel but it's claimed to only kill algae if dosed at 3-4X recommended doses and I don't feel like killing my fish. Even regular doses kill some plants. I will go by Dave66's Primer (the stickie at the top of this thread) and start dosing with Excel at half doses and work up to full doses but will not do the over-dosing method some use.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-07-2010 at 01:06 PM.