· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    I have several 5g shrimp tanks, I just keep them at room temperature. For a while I had heaters in a few of them but took them out. Would just be too costly to buy that many small heaters and keep them running. Think temp range you want to stay around 65-82F. They'll breed and be a bit more active in the warmer temps, and sort of chill out when it's colder.

I've read posts of other forums of people thinking a tank was empty and just leaving a few inches of water in it with the substrate, and putting the tank away in a dark corner somewhere for a few months, then coming back to find that ghost shrimp had kept breeding in them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

ya needed one - korith   For peein on my parade ;} - smaug   

0 Not allowed!
    Should i have those 1 gallon tanks cycled before i put the shrimp in it? I'm a bit worried i have to. I don't want to put the shrimp in there and then have them die on me when they're having the eggs/larva.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ippielb
    Should i have those 1 gallon tanks cycled before i put the shrimp in it? I'm a bit worried i have to. I don't want to put the shrimp in there and then have them die on me when they're having the eggs/larva.
    Would be a good idea to. Take some media out of your other tank and add it into the 1g tank's filter. Also when you initially fill up the 1g tank with water, maybe use the old tank water. The old tank water just so water quality stays the same for the shrimp when you move it. Sometimes shrimp will drop their eggs if too many changes take place.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, now i have 3 shrimp with eggs inside them. One's eggs are turning darker yellow and the eggs are getting black dots on them. And the other two are still green inside with the eggs. The last picture is the one with the yellowish eggs and the black dots on them. Sorry for quality, they love to swim up and down the side of the tank right in the current of my under gravel filter head, right in the bubbles, so it was difficult to get these.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt they will actually hatch unless you create a brackish water tank for them to breed in, as the eggs need the brackish water conditions to hatch. I believe there might be some species of ghost shrimp that are able to hatch eggs in fresh water though. As someone said if you want to try breeding shrimp you can make a red cherry shrimp tank, but I guess it's worth a shot with the ghosties since you already have a tank.
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I believe these are american ghost shrimp. The ones that don't need brackish, well that's at least what the label said at the pet store.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ippielb
    I believe these are american ghost shrimp. The ones that don't need brackish, well that's at least what the label said at the pet store.
    Ah ok well best of luck to you then. keep us updated I haven't really run into anyone who was able to successfully breed them in freshwater.
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Once they get into their larval form, you may want to hold off on doing water changes for a while. They will fairly small and hard to avoid sucking up.

Keep posting those updates, will be cool to see if you can raise them to adults.