· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Help !!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Help !!

0 Not allowed!
    I am new to having an aquarium and I am very worried about my water and my fish. I bought my aquarium about 3 weeks ago from a fish store, once I got it home I set the aquarium up as detailed in the instruction book and after 3 days I tested the water which turned out to be perfect conditions for fish, I then took a sample of the water to the fish store for them to sample which they agreed the water was good, they then gave me my fish which are a Leopard Pleco (Charlie) two Angel Fish (Lucy & George) and two Bala Sharks (Bill & Ben). The problem I have is that ever since I have put the fish in the tank the water has too much nitrite (the test I have is the Tetra test No 2) good water should be yellow and bad/severe water is red. My tests always turn RED ! to much Nitrite but I am changing 20% water daily and putting in the Fresh Start and Filter Start together with Stress Zyme and Stress Coat as advised by the fish store, but to no avail the water tests stays red (too much Nitrite). Now I am so worried as the two Bala Sharks have blue spots on their sides, and Charlie my Pleco has changed with paler patches appearing all over his body and between his eyes (I've read that this can be caused through stress) the angel fish seem ok but they swim near the surface alot. I love my fish and hate the fact that I must be hurting them because I can't get the water right. Please any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to lose my lovely fish and I feel time is running out for them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Chill Pill for sure.  :) - Lady Hobbs   here's a frontosa for giving good advice - Crispy   Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   You must be a member of the Gourami Mafia too! - Rhaethe   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd bring the fish back then do a fishless cycle. The reason you have high nitrites is because the tank is not cycled.

If you decide to keep them, you could do a fish in cycle, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Both methods can be found here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...play.php?f=111

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    What size is the tank? Your tank is not cycled, that is why you have nitrites, you will have ammonia too. Both are toxic to fish. If you have no fish and no ammonia source your water will test out fine. It doen't help to test before you start your cycle. I really wish LFS employees and so called instrustion manuals would stop saying to do this. I call them 'destruction' manuals. Any way, your best bet is to return the fish. Unless you have a 100 gallon tank it is going to be too small for the bala sharks(they need to be in schools of six or more and get to about a foot long. They are also skittish fish) and the pleco, they also get to be over a foot long and produce alot of waste. I don't think your angles will survive the cycle and for two I would say a 55 gallon tank. Return the fish and read about fishless cycling and also read up on the fish you want to keep.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Thank you

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you annageckos and Zilla for your replies to my e-mail, I will ask the shop to look after my fish whilst I get a new 100 gallon tank and let it fully cycle before I put my fish back in. I just hope I;m in time to save my fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    If you have the room go for something at least six feet if you want to keep bala sharks. Thou it may be better to start out smaller and work your way up with experiance. What size is the tank you have now? Good luck and read the e-book on the left and read about cycling and any fish you are interested in.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Welcome to AC! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    I think a bigger tank its better, because the more water there is, the more crap has to be in the water to hurt your fish, because of all the space there is.

Besides you will be able to put the fish you want in that (pretty much) and you wont be restricted to just some fish.

in my signature are the 2 types of cycles, i would go with the fishess. ;)
    Good luck, and you dont really need to spend the money in that big of a tank if you dont have it, you might buy a 55g , and the bala shark could be fine for a while.
    But you will have to upgrade with bala shark to a 100+ g.
    (if you wonder about the fishless cycled, i recommend ACE pure ammonia )

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Chill Pill for sure.  :) - Lady Hobbs   here's a frontosa for giving good advice - Crispy   Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   You must be a member of the Gourami Mafia too! - Rhaethe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa
    Thank you annageckos and Zilla for your replies to my e-mail, I will ask the shop to look after my fish whilst I get a new 100 gallon tank and let it fully cycle before I put my fish back in. I just hope I;m in time to save my fish.
    I meant to mention this last night and I'm sorry that I didn't, but thanks for atleast reading and trying to do the right thing by your new fish. Even though you were given bad advice, you realised that there was a problem and did something about it.

This is a rare thing in this hobby...