· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

Default Large tank plant substrate option

0 Not allowed!
    Pro's Choice Soilmaster Select is a soil additive made for landscapers, but it's also used in planted tanks. First off, it's cheap, 50lbs for only 16 bucks. This will make a 3 inch layer in a 55g tank. As for properties, it has a high CEC (nutrient holding ability), doesn't cloud water, and contains iron. Unlike Flourite and Ecocomplete though, it doesn't contain various traces, but that is fairly easy to supplement. Also, it comes in black, which is very nice :)

http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...-Substrate/26/

http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=083365
    (Call your local Lesco to see if they have it in stock or if they can add it to the next order)
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    Thats actually really cool!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a plant for your fish tank - hobbs   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   ...word... - Drumachine09   Thanks for the help - Incredulous_Ed   For keeping me straight!! - Lady Hobbs   
    Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrona
    Pro's Choice Soilmaster Select is a soil additive made for landscapers, but it's also used in planted tanks. First off, it's cheap, 50lbs for only 16 bucks. This will make a 3 inch layer in a 55g tank. As for properties, it has a high CEC (nutrient holding ability), doesn't cloud water, and contains iron. Unlike Flourite and Ecocomplete though, it doesn't contain various traces, but that is fairly easy to supplement. Also, it comes in black, which is very nice :)

http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...-Substrate/26/

http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=083365
    (Call your local Lesco to see if they have it in stock or if they can add it to the next order)
    Thanks Chrona. I definitely may check this out. I am going to be setting up two more tanks and one of them is going to be planted as I am planning on doing a shrimp tank, but if I can get the substrate for both tanks for the cost of one bag of eco complete it may be worth it to go this route.

I am going to assume that by adding traces you are talking about flourish. Is this correct?

On a related note: Have you used the Plantex CSM+B that rex sells? I was thinking of switching to this as it seems like this would be a more economical way to go, and wondered if you had tried it yet.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhound
    Thanks Chrona. I definitely may check this out. I am going to be setting up two more tanks and one of them is going to be planted as I am planning on doing a shrimp tank, but if I can get the substrate for both tanks for the cost of one bag of eco complete it may be worth it to go this route.

I am going to assume that by adding traces you are talking about flourish. Is this correct?

On a related note: Have you used the Plantex CSM+B that rex sells? I was thinking of switching to this as it seems like this would be a more economical way to go, and wondered if you had tried it yet.
    I have a bag of plantex but I haven't used it yet. Tropica Master Grow is supposed to be the best trace supplement (but very hard to find), Flourish the second, and then plantex is down there a bit. Since I only have a 10g tank, one 100ml bottle of Flourish lasts me a while. Maybe sometime later I'll try switching for a week or two and see what happens.

Yep Flourish basically = traces. It also contains iron and some macro nutrients, but not in significant quantities when dealing with high light/CO2 tanks.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a plant for your fish tank - hobbs   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   ...word... - Drumachine09   Thanks for the help - Incredulous_Ed   For keeping me straight!! - Lady Hobbs   
    Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrona
    I have a bag of plantex but I haven't used it yet. Tropica Master Grow is supposed to be the best trace supplement (but very hard to find), Flourish the second, and then plantex is down there a bit. Since I only have a 10g tank, one 100ml bottle of Flourish lasts me a while. Maybe sometime later I'll try switching for a week or two and see what happens.

Yep Flourish basically = traces. It also contains iron and some macro nutrients, but not in significant quantities when dealing with high light/CO2 tanks.
    Thanks for the reply. With at least 20 more gallons becoming a planted tank (I might be adding two more tanks instead of one), I am not sure that I want to be buying a bottle of flourish every other week. Treating 70 to 100 gallons week with flourish might get to be little to much on the wallet.

Thanks again.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog