· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default turtle compatability

0 Not allowed!
    I am new to the forum...I have a 90 gallon tank with 1 western painted female and a few feeders (large and small). My turtle Ollie is about 6" long and growing. She LOVES the water. Everyone I encountered during the process of purchasing the larger tank thought I was nuts b/c "turtles don't need that much water". The first 3 days she never got out of the water onto her dock! I wanted to make sure that I would not have to upgrade again until I decide to build a pond. I have a fluval fx5 filter that is an unbelievable beast and works very well. ....... Now I am really interested in an African Side Neck!! I keep running into this breed in my local stores and love the way it looks. They look like they have a joker grin on their face and very cartoonish eyes. Does anyone know if this breed would be ok with my western painted?

I also really want to find a way to incorporate live plants in my tank and am at a loss at how to achieve this as I do not have a bottom - no substrate in my tank....Any ideas with any permanent modifications to the tank?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I cant help you with the trutle aompatibility but for plants you could simply leave them in pots.Sword plants in quart size clay pots would do ok.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Different species of turtles are often not compatible, but it depends on the individual turtle's temperament, and how you introduce them.

Since she's already six inches long she could be too big already to accept another turtle living with her. If you get another you'll want to make sure it's already sized enough to compete with her. A long introduction (and don't forget to quarantine it first) period will help out. Really, though, since she was there first, it'll likely depend all on her.

So far as I am aware most African Side Necked turtles have a moderate compatability for other turtles. Can't find a clear answer on your Western Painted, but know in the right conditions they can be housed with their own species.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

Awards Showcase

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy Merry Christmas - Northernguy Happy Birthday!!! - Jill For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20 
    Sorry about your rat. - cer for giving a sick rat a great life - frank_zappa so sorry about JR. - gabbyguppy This one is best! - Agassizii thanks for the motm nomination! - Lab_Rat 
    To another Scotty fan,thx for chatting. - smaug Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Sorry about Blaze - Rue thank you very much. - smaug 1 year at AC! - Northernguy 
    Thanks for all the help lately i really appreciate it. - octoxpuss cause  your  good - bushwhacker For the Camden Aquarium tour! - Rue Happy Easter! - Northernguy 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos 

0 Not allowed!
    I would not mix these two, they have different habitat requiraments.The paint can also get bigger than the side neck. As for plants with your paint turtle, good luck. Painted turtles eat a lot of vegitation, so any plant you try will likely be snacked on.
    55 gallon planted community
    30 gallon planted community
    10 gallon planted wild type guppies and cherry shrimp
    2X5.5

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Where did you get your information, Anna? My research said the Side Necked gets bigger.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your response! The more that I think about adding a turtle to her environment the more it becomes a bad idea. I hadn't thought at first much about being competitors and possible fighting. Ollie happens to be missing her left front foot. She has a stub but it is not nearly as long as her normal foot and has no claws. I will not be adding a turtle after all. I do not want to upset her. Thank you again!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know the turtle will eat the plants and that is what I hope to happen. Ollie does not eat any vegetation I put on the surface. She likes the live feeder fish or pellets - that is it. I want to make sure she is getting enough in her diet to be healthy and prevent any potential shell deformitities from too much protien.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What is your opinion of a possible outdoor pond with Ollie (given her missing foot) and adding turtles of her species then? This wouldn't be for at least a year or two but my ultimate goal is to build her an outdoor area that is fully protected. I did want multiple turtles in the outdoor area though.

So, what do you consider a a slow introduction period? A month of maintaining seperate tanks with daily visits in a nuetral area ( kiddie pool vs. in one of there homes) How long should the quarantine period be?

Thank you!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I own 6 turtles, compatibility isn't as much an issue of species as it is personality. Habitat wise, some turtles call for shallower waters and more basking area where some like an RES need more water and less basking area. What you have to remember is, in the wild the shallowest of aquatic turtles would have to deal with water as deep as most tanks could possibly be so unless your putting a reeves in a 4 ft tall tank you should be okay. As for size, they both can reach a foot carapace length, so there basically the same size. The thing about turtles is, sometimes you can have 8 get along in one habitat and sometimes you get that one that won't have any other turtle in the tank with it without trying to kill it. In my experience, even across species, bigger turtles don't usually mess with hatchlings or smaller ones. Thats not to say it isn't possible your bigger turtle will not bite your new one when you get it, but I have never seen it. I have on the other hand seen RES's try to fight to the death, so if your going to try to keep them together be very careful and watch them closely for a long time before leaving them unsupervised.
    As for tank size, you did great, always buy big first when it comes to turtles, no you weren't crazy, actually if you plan to keep them for life you will eventually need a pond or livestock trough. The rule is, and tell all your friends that called you crazy, 10 gallons of water for every inch of fully aquatic turtle. SO as of now you need a minimum of 60 gallons OF WATER, not tank size. When that WPS gets double what it is now that tank will be too small, you would need at least 120 gallons of water for a turtle that size, if you choose to add another thats even more room. You could definitely make that tank last longer with an above tank basking area but still one day you'll need something bigger. And you'll see why when your 9" turtle comes careening off the basking platform and slams shell into your glass, it makes you quite nervous

EDIT: As for plants, if you want something to grow and not be messed up by the turtles get hornowrt for the top of the tank and big swords for the bottom. My turtles don't mess with the swords much unless there tiny then they just bite them in two but don't eat. Hornwort i think is nasty to them because they never touch it, it does shed needles making you clean filter inserts more often but it will grow like weeds, you'll have to throw some out or your entire tank surface will be covered in it eventually. As for getting the turtles to eat greens, try anacharis. I would suggest you pick up a buuunch of it, rubberband it to a big rock and sink it in the tank, I am willing to bet it will get eaten, I know my turtles mow it down in hours, they aren't much on lettuce but they love anacharis. Some other suggestions for good surviving plants would be cabomba, it has lasted a while in my tank. You might also think about getting a nice looking marine sand for the bottom, it's easy to clean and fun to watch the turtles play in it.
    Last edited by jay2487; 03-16-2010 at 03:54 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think even snails will try to eat hornwort, so it must taste like crap. So, I agree with Jay on that part, try some Hornwort if you don't mind floating plants.

Good advice from Jay. I say follow it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast