· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I should change that from bio wheels to the little bio balls....can't remember if that's what they are called. The little balls with lots of surface area designed to give maximum bacteria per square area.

Oh well...had the tests confirmed and they are correct so I believe that I am in the last stage of the cycle just waiting for nitrites to drop to 0. My 3 year old son knows that when it's light blue on the test he can have fish so he's starting to dislike purple. .

I guess I am just confused that the tank can chew through 5PPM of ammonia in 36 hours now 6 times and there is no increase in nitrites or nitrates. I am willing to ignore it and just wait for a nitrite drop to hoist my 'Mission Accomplished' banner on the deck of the ship but if the assumption is that the bacteria are converting ammonia to nitrite I would really expect to see nitrites rising.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know the working end of a biowheel filter, but you should have some type of bio media in the filter. I use ceramic rings, but there all all different kinds that you can use. I put mine in a filter media bag and just give the bag a swish in tank water when I do a water change when the bag is covered in gunk.

It's the gunk in or on the rings that keeps the tank from going into a mini-cycle when the filter is cleaned out. I'm careful about not cleaning both of my filters at once, but I'm paranoid about mini-cycles at the same time. I know it's not a big deal and I know how to deal with them, but that doesn't remove the suck factor when it happens.

If you haven't done a water change as Lady Hobbs suggested, give it a try and see what happens. It isn't going to hurt anything...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toysrus
    I'm no expert,and just trying to help out, but maybe you should have cycled it without the biowheels,and just the filter.
    That very well may help.
    I was researching on the net and came across an article explaining why
    bio wheels get less effective the longer they are used.
    They did not recommend them. I don't know, I've never had one,
    but after reading that article I don't believe bio wheels are all
    they are cracked up to be and don't think I'll ever get one.
    Back to the basics, sponge filters still seem to do it best.
    I still would just like to know how much sponge area is needed
    per size of water/fish population.
    I never know how much one should have.
    These seem real nice, and I'm trying several right now.
    http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSponge.htm
    JC

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To be clear, the product I was trying to refer to was Marineland bio-filter balls:

I have a good number of these and a nice coarse sponge with lots of surface area inside of my aquaclear and nothing else.

I am going to try the water change tonight and see how next week goes. thanks all!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Those are fine. I use these http://www.aquarium-products.co.uk/F...ings_500_g.htm but it doesn't matter. All that matters is that bacteria has something to stick to. It doesn't care if it's balls or rings. I like rings as they take up less space, but use what you have.

All I use is AC filters and I like them, but I'm not a fan of their sponges. They are good for catching bigger particles, but allow really small stuff to pass through. To fix this problem, I add a small wad of floss to all my filters and use the sponge to cap the floss so I don't get floss strands floating in the tank. I don't think it would bother the fish if they ate it, but I'm not willing to take the chance of any type of obstruction caused from it getting tangled up in their intestines either.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Update:

I did a 50% water change with not much change in response and then decided on a substrate swap.....just because. After the substrate swap things were still stable so I decided to pick up a small bottle of Cycle just for kicks and dumped half of the bottle in. 48 hours later Nitrites were through the roof and 48 hours after that they were at 0.

Given the amount of time that has passed (5 weeks) it's unclear whether the Cycle had any impact or if it was simply progressing at this point on it's own. I have seen mixed reviews on the product, with some recent comments being more positive, though many of the posts I read were of people trying to cycle a tank with Cycle alone or as part of a cycle with fish and not Cycle as an additive to an ammonia-supplemented fisheless cycle.

I wonder what a Cycle-assisted ammonia-supplemented fishless cycle would look like had I started at day 0, but not so curious that I will experiment....I'm cycled and I'm getting fish!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    you say you "stole" the filter you're using from another tank... was that tank in use, with fish and everything? Or was it sitting around unused for a while?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    you say you "stole" the filter you're using from another tank... was that tank in use, with fish and everything? Or was it sitting around unused for a while?
    It was sitting unused for about 2-3 years, unfortunately.