· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Huge Pleco - please help me!!

0 Not allowed!
    My other half and I recently inherited a tank from her relatives that theu no longer wanted. It is 39" by 17" by 19" which, according to an online calculator, is a 45 gallon tank. Now comes the tricky bit, the four fish were two ghost catfish, one Denison barb and a monster Pleco, who is over 18" long and over 17 years old!

I know he is too big for the tank but we don't know what to do with him, I have rung round local aquariums and pet shops and no-one wants him. We want to add some other fish but he systematically destroys the tank, digging even though we feed him wafers. We added some driftwood, he moves it around, he does the usual pleco thing of going up for air a loit and the other fish have to scarper out of the way to save themselves. What the hell do I do with him?

What would you all do? Please help!

Cheers

Paul

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Post a local ad to give the fish away, state that the person must have a tank over 100gallons to take the fish. Preferably plecos this size should be in tanks no less than 6ft long and 2ft wide. Until then keep a very close eye on water parameters and do frequent WCs to keep levels in the good range. A fish that size in a tank that small, is going to destroy the tank just to be able to move. Other than buying a larger tank for the fish yourself there isnt much else you can do if LFS wont take him. You could contact LFS within driving distance to see if they would take the fish, post ads on forums with your city to see if anyone with housing wants the fish. Check out Monster Fish Rescue if your around the area they are...they would take the fish or help you place the fish atleast.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Anyone that had a trio of angels deserves a gift. - Brookfish   Thanks for all the help in PM - Taurus   Great pic! - Brookfish   You need a bigger school of angels! lol - Northernguy   Heres a neon for your tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree. Giving it away free might be your best bet. Sometimes you can find aquarium service companies (who service large tanks in businesses/hotels/etc) who might have a use for it. I dumped a 12" pleco on a company like that around here. I offered it to them free but he ended up giving me $50 for it then charged his customer for the fish.

Whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT just dump this fish into a lake or stream. If you can't find a new home for it and you don't want it, euthanize it as best you can and dispose of it appropriately.
    75G Planted Blue Themed Community Tank:
    Neon Tetras, Blue Platties, Blue Guppies, Blue Snails, & a pleco
    with 4 hang off breeder tanks for Blue/Red Platty Project

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    What a shame this old catfish doesn't have more room and you are doing the best thing to find him a home. I would put an ad in Craigslist (with the stipulation he must go to a home with a large tank) if you don't have any other recourse.

Does your local newspaper have a freebie section?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    You can put an add on Craigs list for free fish, look into the monster fish rescue and maybe post on monsterfishkeepers site too. There is also Aquabid.com. Good luck.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

And here is your first gift, enjoy! :) - Oscar_freak12321   thanks for the gift! I'm glad you like my site! :) - Mrs.JayMay23   No Message - james20   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    I think it's cool to have a big old fish like that...

I guess if it was me...I'd keep him as a pet and try and meet his needs...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'd love to keep him and meet his needs but he's just too big for our tank and I can't afford a tank that would suit him better. I respect him in a way because he has lived almost half as long as I have, which is why I can't bear to humanely put him out of action. I've put adverts on many forums and in local pet shops but without any luck. I guess I'll either have to wait for him to naturally pass on or keep trying for a new home.

I really do feel for him because he deserves a home he can enjoy.

Thanks for the replies, people.

Cheers

Paul

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Kijiji is another option to post a free fish in,depending on your location.
    You could also post in the classified section here.

Good luck,I hope you do find it a home soon.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm glad you're willing to keep him! Keep looking for larger used tanks...I think someone on here just bought a 75g with stand for $75...so there are deals to be had out there...

Or you could try posting an ad for a free tank - explaining why you need it - someone might just be willing to let one go for a good cause. Worth a try at least.

Quote Originally Posted by paul3011
    I'd love to keep him and meet his needs but he's just too big for our tank and I can't afford a tank that would suit him better. I respect him in a way because he has lived almost half as long as I have, which is why I can't bear to humanely put him out of action. I've put adverts on many forums and in local pet shops but without any luck. I guess I'll either have to wait for him to naturally pass on or keep trying for a new home.

I really do feel for him because he deserves a home he can enjoy.

Thanks for the replies, people.

Cheers

Paul
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed