· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Poison dart frogs and fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, well here is my new project in the works... What I want to do is to make a planted aquarium that will also double as the water feature in a frog terrarium. So far I definitely want to get a pair of poison dart frogs, a red eyed tree frog, and maybe one other frog. As far as aquarium live stock, I was thinking possibly a bunch of dario darios and maybe one or two other things depending on how much water it will end up holding (probably around 10 gallons give or take a few). I want to have some sort of pump system that will take water from the very bottom corner of the water, send it through a filter, and turn it back out at the top of a waterfall I'm planning on constructing.

Here's my major problem. I'm not exactly a handyman lol, so a lot of the wood work and glass work I'll have to be doing will be entirely new to me. I want to pretty much custom the build the entire thing: stand, tank, and all. Live plants throughout, the whole works.

So I was just wondering if anybody here had experience with terrariums like this or any advice whatsoever that would help my cause. A few things that come to mind: what would be a nice looking wood to stain dark for the stand, would a canister filter be my best bet for filtering and moving water back to the top or some kind of wet/dry filter with a pump, what would be good plants to have in this kind of set up (maybe some that grow out of the water as well), any ideas on how to make a deep enough pool for fish to live in while also keeping high enough ground for the frogs? The last one is really making me think. I don't know if I should angle up the floor of the tank itself, or use something to keep gravel layers separate and just kind of hope that it all doesn't settle downwards into the water.

The possibilities are pretty much endless since it will all be custom built, assuming I can do it that is. The only thing I'm concerned about is price really. I know it will be pretty costly by the time it's all set up and done, but I'm not trying to do it in a weekend either.

Any, and all, advice/comments are welcome and appreciated
    Last edited by SunSchein89; 02-26-2010 at 05:10 PM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Chances are if you do a slanting slide anything to do with gravel will just cause hassle. Better to not bother with trying to keep it up, and just put an inch or so at the bottom.

How tall can/would you make it? Are you building a custom stand for it?

If you can build a custom stand as well, then you could buy a standard ten gallon, strip the cover, then set the tank on a lower ledge. Leave a few inches of the tank over the edge of the higher ledge. Put substrate up to the line in the land part, then construct "ramps" if any of your frog species are semi-aquatic.

Would even work if you wanted the enclosure bigger than the width of a ten gallon, because you could just design land all around the tank edge.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

Awards Showcase

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy Merry Christmas - Northernguy Happy Birthday!!! - Jill For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20 
    Sorry about your rat. - cer for giving a sick rat a great life - frank_zappa so sorry about JR. - gabbyguppy This one is best! - Agassizii thanks for the motm nomination! - Lab_Rat 
    To another Scotty fan,thx for chatting. - smaug Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Sorry about Blaze - Rue thank you very much. - smaug 1 year at AC! - Northernguy 
    Thanks for all the help lately i really appreciate it. - octoxpuss cause  your  good - bushwhacker For the Camden Aquarium tour! - Rue Happy Easter! - Northernguy 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos 

0 Not allowed!
    I can't help you with the constrution, but wanted to say make sure that if the frogs fall in the water is it easy for them to get back out. The dart frogs can drownd. Other than that it sounds really cool, post pics as you progress.
    55 gallon planted community
    30 gallon planted community
    10 gallon planted wild type guppies and cherry shrimp
    2X5.5

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by annageckos
    I can't help you with the constrution, but wanted to say make sure that if the frogs fall in the water is it easy for them to get back out. The dart frogs can drownd. Other than that it sounds really cool, post pics as you progress.
    Definitely a good thing to keep in mind lol, I'll make sure to provide ample climbing material or make sure the substrate ramps up to the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by VoidParadigm
    Chances are if you do a slanting slide anything to do with gravel will just cause hassle. Better to not bother with trying to keep it up, and just put an inch or so at the bottom.

How tall can/would you make it? Are you building a custom stand for it?

If you can build a custom stand as well, then you could buy a standard ten gallon, strip the cover, then set the tank on a lower ledge. Leave a few inches of the tank over the edge of the higher ledge. Put substrate up to the line in the land part, then construct "ramps" if any of your frog species are semi-aquatic.

Would even work if you wanted the enclosure bigger than the width of a ten gallon, because you could just design land all around the tank edge.
    I'm thinking of making the enclosure about 2 feet deep and 3 feet long give or take up to half a foot either way, especially if there are metal lids out there that will fit easily to something close to what I'm looking at. Definitely big enough to fit a 10 gal in there, but I might custom build the aquarium tank anyway so I can make it a little less long and possibly more or less wide too, depending on how much land would be left around the tank. I still would like a major portion of the view to be the terrarium and have the aquarium glass actually be down under the terrarium itself and cut into the stand. I had thought of something like that earlier and was still thinking about it, but I wanted to see if there were any other ideas out there.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dart frogs and retf are a no go as are most other frogs with pdf.Pdf are very fragile and only a little more so then tree frogs.Water features are fine for pdf as long as it isnt very big,in other words not big enough for keeping any fish in it.etf can be kept with a larger water feature big enough for keeping small fish.I have kept pdf as well as several types of tree frogs and I do not recommend them to a novice.If you have successfully kept other phibs in the past then I would say go for the tree frogs first,but not retf,they are the most fragile.Whites tree frogs are a very good choice for a beginner and are much easier to feed whereas pdf and smaller tree frogs require a more varied harder to get diet.I suggest you do alot of research at dedicated amphib forums and ask many questions before making the choice.
    I recommend this site for a start http://www.vivariumforum.com/community/index.php .I have a pictorial of the building of my viv http://www.vivariumforum.com/communi...er=2071&sort=1 and there are many more like it as well.
    BTW,I learned the hard way about keeping 2 species together and how difficult it is.My pdf died a horrible death from some sort of bacteria that accumulated in my soil.The tree frogs are still healthy and happy with a different owner at a local pet shop.They are huge amount of work.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I'm definitely doing a lot of research at this point. I even just emailed a breeder of poison dart frogs that has been doing it for over 15 years; he'll probably be who I end up buying from if I go forward with it. I want to see what he has to say as well and if he has any ideas that could make it possible. I've had a lot of reptiles in my collection at one point or another, and still do, as well as a good few geckos so I'm pretty well versed when it comes to the feeding, husbandry, and care of reptiles and amphibians. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I can pretty safely set up and maintain a terrarium with certain temperature and humidity requirements. After learning about fish here I thought it would be cool to try to combine the two. Either way I think I want to try to make this setup, whether it will end up with poison dart frogs or not. Maybe I can save them for another day. Thanks for the help and links

0 Not allowed!
    As others have mentioned you can't keep pdf with other frog species and they can drown. This is a great forum devoted to pdfs. http://www.dendroboard.com/

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I had it to do over again I would get just pdf.They are so much more active and interesting then tree frogs.Tree frogs simply sleep all day and do absolutly nothing that can be seen with the lights on,that is especially true with retf.pdf are normally active all day and due to there big appetites are always hunting.Good luck with whatever you do but dont mix the species it really is a no go unless you have a 55 gal plus environment and that adds a whole other level to the keeping,such as difficulty in maintaining humidity.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I thought PDFs were enendagered? Also how do you hand them? I might actually want to try and keep one if you can! That or i'd just have to keep a the green tree frogs lol

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They are mostly raised for the trade ,very few wild caught.Only wild pdf have toxins in there skin and handling them is simple,you dont.They are very fragile and there skin will absorb any toxins in your skin,in other words you are more toxic to them then they are to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast