· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Chill Pill for sure.  :) - Lady Hobbs   here's a frontosa for giving good advice - Crispy   Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   You must be a member of the Gourami Mafia too! - Rhaethe   

Default Stupid moss question

0 Not allowed!
    Mosses do not have roots, correct?

I won't mention the name of the site I'm quoting this from, but does this make sense?

Xmas moss, Java moss and Star moss from our farmers come with root structure in brown color. New leave struture will grow from the root structure once it has adapt in the new environment (do not remove the brown portion).

We will generally offer extended Guarantee for another 2 weeks. If the moss is dead within the 2 week, we will proceed to refund or reship.
    Brown moss = dead moss?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - toysrus   attaboy - smaug   It grows for you here too - smaug   here is to culling you from our community - smaug   why not? - Brhino   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - toysrus   

0 Not allowed!
    LOL I have JavaFern that won't attache to anything it has brown roots too.I had some java moss once and it was decent looking green stuff.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Chill Pill for sure.  :) - Lady Hobbs   here's a frontosa for giving good advice - Crispy   Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   You must be a member of the Gourami Mafia too! - Rhaethe   

0 Not allowed!
    I got some Java Fern in last week. Those have roots and mine were covered in dirt so I just planted them as usual. I'm presently doing a lighting experiment with them though as the leaves have black dots on them. It's not algae and no holes so I don't know if it's a lighting issue or something else. The problem leaves are not dying, so who knows.

The moss thing though, I have no clue. I've never heard of moss having brown roots. To the best of my knowledge, brown moss is dead moss hence the reason I'm asking.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish for your thoughtful posts!  Brain food! - Rue   Another Betta for your AC tank - Cliff   thanks for plant link - Lady Hobbs   good luck with your geckos! - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla
    I got some Java Fern in last week. Those have roots and mine were covered in dirt so I just planted them as usual. I'm presently doing a lighting experiment with them though as the leaves have black dots on them. It's not algae and no holes so I don't know if it's a lighting issue or something else. The problem leaves are not dying, so who knows.

The moss thing though, I have no clue. I've never heard of moss having brown roots. To the best of my knowledge, brown moss is dead moss hence the reason I'm asking.
    I'm pretty sure the black dots you're speaking of are meant to be there. I could be wrong, but I know at least for my tropica fern this is true and more than likley the java fern as well. The black dots are actually part of their reproduction system. When you see these black dots on the underside of the leaves that means they are about to, already have, or are in the process of releasing spores. The term for them is "sori." If, however, you are getting big blotchy spots on both sides of the leaves then there is something else wrong.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - toysrus   attaboy - smaug   It grows for you here too - smaug   here is to culling you from our community - smaug   why not? - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    I have big blotchy spots on both sides of Java Fern.
    What's wrong with them?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toysrus
    I have big blotchy spots on both sides of Java Fern.
    What's wrong with them?
    It's going away,anyway all I ever have is stupid questions.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    Java Fern should not be buried in the substrate, if the rimzone is covered the plant will die. The roots are used as an anchor and you can burry those, just make sure the rimzone is uncovered. Java moss on the other hand, I have never seen roots on mine. The bottom layer of moss does turn brown but that is because it doesn't get light like the upper layer.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SunSchein89
    I'm pretty sure the black dots you're speaking of are meant to be there. I could be wrong, but I know at least for my tropica fern this is true and more than likley the java fern as well. The black dots are actually part of their reproduction system. When you see these black dots on the underside of the leaves that means they are about to, already have, or are in the process of releasing spores. The term for them is "sori." If, however, you are getting big blotchy spots on both sides of the leaves then there is something else wrong.
    No blotches, just dots.

I'll keep an eye on them anyway, but that's an interesting piece of info .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice babies - Lady Hobbs   you need a school of these!lol - Northernguy   We sound like Bevis and Butt head! - Lady Hobbs   for checking out my profile - geminidragn   Hope it helps! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla
    No blotches, just dots.

I'll keep an eye on them anyway, but that's an interesting piece of info .
    Mine had lots of black dots on them and i got worried but then little plantlets came off of it.

my two favorites in my life.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Lemme guess this question comes up because you were considering ordering plants from Jahoor, Malaysia from an eBay seller?

They're not really 'roots' per se. You essentially get a brownish mat that looks like it's dead. It's not. It will take a while for it to grow in and green up though. I got some moss from 'em (not Java Moss) as a sample and it was like that. It took me about 6-8 months to get that moss to grow out and look like it was supposed to.

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube