· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overgrown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - toysrus   attaboy - smaug   It grows for you here too - smaug   here is to culling you from our community - smaug   why not? - Brhino   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - toysrus   

Default Overgrown

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a Hygrophila Kompakt that out grew the pot right?
    It was stunted and when I got it I separated the plant into 4.
    Now they grow some huge new green leafs and has roots growing out of the exposed stem in several places.
    Is there a cure?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    The roots growing out of the stem is prefectly normal for stemmed plants. Plants like this get most of their nutriants from these hair like roots from the stems. You could trim these but you might be limiting the plants ability to get nutriants, and they will just grow back anyways

My stemmed plants develop a lot of these roots. When they grow high enough to get close to the top of the tank, I will trim them back and re-plant the trimmed part.

You would be amazed how many plants you could end up with by doing this
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - toysrus   attaboy - smaug   It grows for you here too - smaug   here is to culling you from our community - smaug   why not? - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, I wasn't sure if I should try to push them down deeper or something.
    The giant leaves look funny though,it's twice the size of the rest.I cut one off and another grew back.
    These plants are only 2 inchs tall.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Sound like you've got a really good tank going. The plants sound like they are heathly and grown fast.

Any chance we could get a pic or two
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It's hard to see the farthest one on the far left side.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Nice Tank !!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The reineckii are dying and I don't know why.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank looks nice. You should always take the plants you get out of the pots, they are not meant for long term. Like stated, those side roots are perfectly normal, you can trim them if you want, I don't. As for your reineckii dieing. It is hard to know why. What is your lighting and ferts like? Some plants just do not do well in some tanks, or you could have gotten weak plants to start with.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My lighting don't seem to be a problem or the ferts,and the substrate lined with laterite I'm not sure about. All the rest of the plants look ok. So that eliminates the lighting or laterite deficiency I hope.
    It's just the reineckii in "one" tank that's having problems.
    The leafs look healthy on the top part of the plant at first then they get holes in them as they fade and get "yellow spots".
    A One week old cutting had beautiful coloring on the "top" yesterday and today they rotted and fell off.
    The lower leafs are either dying of old age or from leaf rot. No holes in them at least!
    I've been knocking the rotten ones off with a stick and throwing them out.
    I fertilized them last nite with Flourish,and leafzone without any CO 2 and they looked better today.Except the fresh cutting.
    Maybe it's the CO 2?
    List of plants:Reinikii,Hygrophilia,Crypts,JavaFern,Glosso stigma.
    Still sounds like iron deficiency?

Quote Originally Posted by annageckos
    Your tank looks nice. You should always take the plants you get out of the pots, they are not meant for long term. Like stated, those side roots are perfectly normal, you can trim them if you want, I don't. As for your reineckii dieing. It is hard to know why. What is your lighting and ferts like? Some plants just do not do well in some tanks, or you could have gotten weak plants to start with.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm never personally used CO2 in my tanks, but a close friend of mine swears by them. She always has a lot of plants and a CO2 generator in her tanks and the fish and plants all do well.

I've found a lot of DIY posts on how to build a CO2 generator.

It might be worth looking into.