· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new 6g tank

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have a question.. looks like you have a heater in with elvis.. do bettas do better in warmer water?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkijo
    i have a question.. looks like you have a heater in with elvis.. do bettas do better in warmer water?
    They do, yes. They are tropical fish and they prefer warmer water. I have 3 bettas and I keep their tanks around 78 degrees all the time. The heater I have in w Elvis is a small heater, and I have it turned down to about 72 degrees. The light on this tank gives off heat too.

He has a fantastic little bubble nest built already so he must be happy.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherB
    Glad you found a 'bookshelf tank'> I saw one in a Petco here once, and didn't buy it, but wish I had. I like how it is a long, rectangular 6 gallons, not just tall. That means lots of swimming space!!

Your betta looks very happy in his new mansion!
    I am pretty sure I got the last one at my local petco- it was the last one on the shelf, unless they had more in the back that was it.

I had been eyeing it for a while and decided this week that I really hated my Eclipse, so I went and picked it up. I noticed that they are not available on-line anymore- maybe they discontinued them?

It came w a cover, light, and filter. I used my existing filter as I wanted to keep my cycle- so far so good w that according to this AM's test results. (the in-hood filter on the eclipse broke long ago so I have been using a HOB filter)

The one thing I do not like about the bookshelf tank is the fact that it only has a tiny door for tank access- its really only good for feeding. I managed to squeeze my fingers and test tubes into the tank through the door to do water testing this morning, but if I dropped the tubes I would be screwed. To do any major in tank work or a water change you need to remove the light strip and the plastic cover it sits on.

Its not ideal, but I will live with that as I really love the shape of the tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, most kits like that, 'all inclusive stuff' mini bows and the like, only have the small little feeding doors anyway.

I saw one at Petco, but didn't buy it. I came home and researched on Ebay, Amazon, can't find it anywhere. How much did you pay for yours? I never saw a price on one in the store.
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It was $49.99 I just kept the filter in its original box- I might use it on a different tank at a later time. The light on it is great though.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thats a real nice betta