· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SAE's and False SAE

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html

This is a great article, I think, explaining the False Siamese, True Siamese and the Flying Fox. I have never been able to tell the actual False SAE from the real SAE until I read this article and could see the actual drawings of the two.

Both have two sets of barbels but the false SAE has a strip that stops where the tail begans and the strip is different. True SAE has a strip that extends all the way thru it's tail and sits on the bottom of the tank on it's fins, unlike the false SAE. The false is also more aggressive, which was interesting.

Hope this article explains the difference of the two as it did for me. Unfortunately, all I can find around here are the CAE's which are mean, lazy and aggressive.

Thank you Aquatic Gardeners for sharing your information.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's good info. I always wonder if mine is a flying fox or a true SAE. I still believe it is a true SAE and that article helped me to make up my mind.
    55g- blood parrots, hatchetfish, SAE, bristlenose plecos
    75G-oscar

0 Not allowed!
    I found it very helpful. It was easier for me to look at the drawings that photos of them.

I believe this should be moved but not sure where to put it. Seems I read SAE are from the Barb family so wasn't sure if this should go in the catfish section, Barb section or with plants! I will move when directed to the proper spot. Thanks

edited to add:
    I have moved to the algae section since this is the reason we buy them! Another interesting thing I just read is that the True SAE are schooling fish and like to work as teams where the CAE's and False SAE's can barely get along with themselves.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-19-2010 at 01:51 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 true SAE and they do hang out with each other once in awhile. They will chase each other away when they eat and sometimes just chase each other but it is all harmless. Here is another link. http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/ I was fortunate to have found these fish, I have only seen 1 in the 6 years I've had them.
    55gal Planted community
    12 Neon Tetras
    5 Kuhli Loaches
    3 Otocinclus
    2 Siamese Algae Eaters

0 Not allowed!
    If shipping wasn't so costly, I'd order a dozen from here http://www.azgardens.com/p-163-algae...-true-sae.aspx but for now will fight the algae off the hard way.

0 Not allowed!
    You can also look for the black smudge on their underside to ID the SAE.

Karen
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That confirms that the 3 little guys I have are infact False SAEs and not the flying foxes they were advertised to be, however I knew they truely weren't even before I bought them because of the lack of stripe on the tail. Either way all 3 of them are happy healthy fish, who sometimes do chase each other but nothing really "aggressive".

They also have some cool red, blue and yellow colouration on the fins which I think is awesome.

160ltr Amazon Semi-Biotope Aquarium

Fishless Cycle | Cycling with Fish | Forum Rules

Awards Showcase

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy Merry Christmas - Northernguy Happy Birthday!!! - Jill For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20 
    Sorry about your rat. - cer for giving a sick rat a great life - frank_zappa so sorry about JR. - gabbyguppy This one is best! - Agassizii thanks for the motm nomination! - Lab_Rat 
    To another Scotty fan,thx for chatting. - smaug Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Sorry about Blaze - Rue thank you very much. - smaug 1 year at AC! - Northernguy 
    Thanks for all the help lately i really appreciate it. - octoxpuss cause  your  good - bushwhacker For the Camden Aquarium tour! - Rue Happy Easter! - Northernguy 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos 

0 Not allowed!
    I have three true SAE, but I got lucky in finding them. There was a whole tank marked True SAE but they weren't. But I did spot three in a planted tank and got them. The like to school with my Pareutropius buffei, which have the same markings. Once you know what you are looking for they are not that hard to spot.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

0 Not allowed!
    From what I'm reading, more false ones are sold in stores than the true SAE's. Good to know what to look for. Without this article, I never would have been able to tell.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukenasia
    They also have some cool red, blue and yellow colouration on the fins which I think is awesome.
    I've posted some pics of the one of them in the Photo Forum now, the best looking one of the bunch , thread is titled "Pictures of my fish" sorry just didn't want to double post images

160ltr Amazon Semi-Biotope Aquarium

Fishless Cycle | Cycling with Fish | Forum Rules