· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   

Unhappy Rummy nose tetras need help!

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I bought eight new rummy noses. As I was acclimating them to the qt tank I noticed that two of them each had a white patch on top of its head. It was not raised or cottony, more like part of the flesh.
    One was dead this morning, and now another has the big white spot on top of its head. I took the body back to the LFS. They were puzzled as to what it might be, as we all agreed that tetra disease usually begins on the body of the fish.
    I'm starting them on Pimafix in order to be gentle and hopefully treat both fungal and bacterial.
    Has anyone seen this before? Could it be just a sign of stress that they will recover from?
    Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC tank! - Northernguy   for ur new tank - Neon   Sorry to hear of your loss. - VoidParadigm   I like your pleco pics!! - gabbyguppy   1000 posts! - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    I doubt the white spot has anything to do with it, if it isn't fungus or ich. Rummy Noses are very sensitive to changes in water conditions and it is really possible that some will die after purhcasing them. Do the rust seem healthy? If so it was probably just a fluke.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Another fish for your AC tank! - Northernguy   No Message - Mith   you  really need a  pair - bushwhacker   oh  i see  got  got  a  mate  for  it - bushwhacker   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - lahlumdi   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree - it could be stress. One expert told me he discovered that you should never expose the rummy nose fish to air when transferring them, as they are so sensitive. Also, I have noticed mine have that white spot right at the top of their head. Many have it. I even have a photo of it somewhere. I used to worry about it too, but I think it is one of their markings. Hope they do well for you. They are a beautiful fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC tank! - Northernguy   for ur new tank - Neon   Sorry to hear of your loss. - VoidParadigm   I like your pleco pics!! - gabbyguppy   1000 posts! - Crispy   

0 Not allowed!
    I just checked and mine don't have a white spot on there head. Im just thinking that is a gene that some of them get.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately I do expect a few losses when I acquire rummy noses. I didn't expose them to air. As they were going alone into the qt tank I poured as much water out of the bag as seemed comfortable for them, then let them swim out on their own.
    The others look really good - their noses are brightening nicely. I looked at my well established rn tetras - that same spot on top of their heads is actually a light taupe color, a little darker than their bodies.
    Interesting. Should I continue with the Pimafix for the prescribed seven days?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akdiscus
    Should I continue with the Pimafix for the prescribed seven days?
    I would say no. If there is no reason to be medicating then I wouldn't especially how sensitive rummy nose tetras are. I would think treating would be more harmfull then good. Before stopping treatment I would see what some other members advise though.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well...later, as I did a water change on my discus tank I kept a close eye on my healthy display tank rummy noses. The tops of their heads turned a prominent, almost white color! I had never noticed that before. Of course they don't like water changes, so now I'm almost convinced that my new rn tetras are just very stressed.
    Since I gave them a dose of Pimafix today I just now put new carbon in to help remove the medication. I'll do a partial water change on the qt tank either tonite or tomorrow (I'm thinking they've been through enough today).
    Every time I think I know my fish I just keep learning!
    Thanks, members, for your wise advice.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    They are definatley stressed. When there noses are white it means they are stressed for some reason. Rummy nose tetas are an easy way to tell if there is somthing wrong with your water. It is probably the medication.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmanuelJB
    They are definatley stressed. When there noses are white it means they are stressed for some reason. Rummy nose tetas are an easy way to tell if there is somthing wrong with your water. It is probably the medication.
    No, it's the tops of their heads that are white. Their noses at first were pinkish but as they are beginning to relax they are getting more red. I just hope the Pimafix doesn't stress them too much. I think it was a mistake on my part, but you'd think the LFS would have known more about this when I asked them.
    Iiiyyy! Rummy nose tetras...gotta love 'em!