· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Advice on pond building

0 Not allowed!
    I have this space in my yard about 121 cm x 243 cm (4' x 8') and thought about building a pond. The ground has a thick layer of concrete over it. Thats almost impossible to dig. Can someone help me get stared on buliding my pond?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, get a sledge hammar, and break out about an extra foot along all sides. Then trace the outline of your pond on the dirt about one inch larger then the rim. Then coat the inside of the hole with wet sand and set in your pond liner.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    the layer of concrete is about 3" thick and under that theres a layer of material roads are built of. I live in the caribbean. I was thinking if i use blocks and block up maybe 2 ft

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think that will work. You still need to add the sand and liner and would have to run the liner up the sides of the walls.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a beer to go with your name :) - Abbeys_Mom   your christmas present.  It's the 33g, it's folded :) - Abbeys_Mom   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   Singing to you.  Can you hear me? - hobbs   In memory of your friend, and a little love for you on that loss - kimmers318   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - crackatinny   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - crackatinny   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - crackatinny   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - crackatinny   

0 Not allowed!
    My aunty used to have an above ground pond like you describe, it was just bricked up in a box section about 2 ft then concreted over the bricks, hers was about 6ftx6ft, with a fountain in the middle, and she used to have some potplants sitting around the edges, you could also sit on the edge of the pond.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   strawberry daquari anyone? - Lady Hobbs   food, food, food - Lady Hobbs   My hero! - Lady Hobbs   Have another? - Drumachine09   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - xoolooxunny   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - xoolooxunny   

0 Not allowed!
    you can use a saddle valve on a water line to SLOWLY add water to it, and have it go out the overflow. You'll never have to do a waterchange, or add dechlorinator at the rate the water goes in, or if you prefer, you can hook it right up to an RO system and have beautiful water leeching in! I just saw some guy doing it on tv today!
    -75g FW community, planted
    -10g FW guppies, planted
    -44g Terrarium, tree frog, various plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Just rent a jackhammer.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by crackatinny
    My aunty used to have an above ground pond like you describe, it was just bricked up in a box section about 2 ft then concreted over the bricks, hers was about 6ftx6ft, with a fountain in the middle, and she used to have some potplants sitting around the edges, you could also sit on the edge of the pond.
    That actually sounds pretty cool. You could paint the outside of the blocks with waterproof paint, too, and make it look very neat-o.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   welcome to the club - Lady Hobbs   God!  Cut your hair!!!!!!!!! - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    You can dig a hole, cast the bottom with concrete and run up blocks along the sides. Then plaster the blocks and paint with an epoxy paint to waterproof the concrete. You must use an epoxy paint that is safe for drinking water. You need to use the epoxy paint since water will seep through the concrete and the concrete will also leech chemicals into the water which is not good for fishes.
    You also need to work out some type of filtration system, and lots of pond plants will help with the nitrates.
    Last edited by genitor; 05-05-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genitor
    You can dig a hole, cast the bottom with concrete and run up blocks along the sides. Then plaster the blocks and paint with an epoxy paint to waterproof the concrete. You must use an epoxy paint that is safe for drinking water. You need to use the epoxy paint since water will seep through the concrete and the concrete will also leech chemicals into the water which is not good for fishes.
    You also need to work out some type of filtration system, and lots of pond plants will help with the nitrates.
    As added protection from leaks I would add a prop butyl rubber pond liner with black plastic under it to protect it from punctures. You may have to make it bigger than 4x8 to minimise changes in water temperature, as its above ground and not insulated by the soil.