· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Reeves turtles anyway?

0 Not allowed!
    In the next couple of months I shall be getting a reeves turtle for my GF. Anyone had one before? Had experience with them?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There great for beginners, are like the easiest tamed turtles, grom to a max of 6 inches, and are cared for just like a slider. The care sheets I've read say they only need a 30gal tank when there full grown but I would not put any turtle in a 30gal. 75gal or over is the only way to go. When your turtle has a 5 inch shell you'll see why. I think your going to love them. They are supposed to have a lot of personality, stay active further into winter months and are peaceful among there own kind. YOu throw two same sex RES's in a tank and chances are one will attack the other after a while. Reeve's are supposed to be able to co-exist for life.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Were only getting one, as they are an 80 dollar turtle. From the other forms i've been reading of people that have them, they suggest a 55g for when they get full grown. Gives them a lot of room from the setups I've seen. I'm leaving most of the info to my GF to get sense its her turtle, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had one before.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have never owned that particular breed but I can direct you to a forum that has plenty of people who have. a 55gal would be a bare minimum, when it gets full grown you will be cramping him bad. I would definitely look into a 75gal. It'll be better for the turtle and big enough that you could add several fish to make it look better and the turtle will have more trouble catching them. try redearslider.com
    turtleforum.com
    turtletimes.com

they could give you some first hand experience in Reeve's. Also, you can find them for much less than $80. I saw one earlier for $29.95

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My gf has already posted on Turtle forums about them, and they said 55-75 is fine for a reeves, and most sites I go say at that 55 is fine for an adult reeves. I would not add fish to a reeves tank for two reasons: reeves from what i've been reading like shallow water, and the filtration on a shallow tank is allready going to be hard enough, I'd rather not add fish intot he mix. Besides this is her trutle tank, not mine. I'll try to get a bigger tank, but Im stuck with size options from living in an apartment where I allready have a 29, a 10g, and a 46g being used. I'll have to look around to find one cheaper then, as none of the dealers in my area carry them

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I read that Rue, but it says a 30 long is good enough for a 5 inch turtle. The rule is 10 gallons per every inch of turtle and that's a minimum. A 30 long wouldn't give a 5 inch turtle much room to turn around. When he comes off the basking platform and slams into the side with his shell your risking losing that tank. A calm collected turtle who doesn't get too excited could possibly live in that size tank by itself but even then, when it gets to be 5 inches it's going to look like Godzilla rampaging tokyo in a 30 long.

As for being shallow. A 6ft 110gal tank fully filled is only 18 inches deep. Their natural habitat has water much deeper than that. I think they tell you that so noobs don't put a turtle in a 35gal hex or a 3ft tall tank.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Reeves arn't great swimmers acording to every site, and almost every person I've seen/talked to on them. I've been told only about 2-8 of water so thay can survice for air really easily. of water should be in the tank so they can walk around and still be in water.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    then that 30gal just turned into a 10gal or less. That is definitely different than the info I have researched and trying to keep that cycled properly is going to be hell. Turtles put off a lot of waste for that little amount of water. You'll have to have an in tank filter or you'll burn a bunch of HOBs up trying to pull water that high if the intakes would even reach it.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    ...I thought the tank size sounded a bit small too...but I don't know enough about them either. Regardless...bigger is always better. I can't imagine they're so 'non-moving' that they'd find a bigger tank too big...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast