· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Talking Flowering Anubias!!

0 Not allowed!
    One of my Anubias plants is starting a flower.(Iuse root taps, no liquid ferts. and about 2 watts per gal) I wanted to know if anyone knew how I could use it to start some more. Should I Bury the flower in the substratre when it dies or will it naturally disperse seeds.
    I do not know much about plants so any advice will help

P.S. I will post some pics.
    Last edited by SCcten; 02-07-2010 at 02:58 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Anyone that had a trio of angels deserves a gift. - Brookfish   Thanks for all the help in PM - Taurus   Great pic! - Brookfish   You need a bigger school of angels! lol - Northernguy   Heres a neon for your tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Unless I'm wrong Anubias will only seed if the flower is above the water, and even then I believe it takes two flowering plants and insects to put the pollen in the correct places. I'm not sure that pollen in the water is enough to pollinate the flower. I've seen a number of people have their anubias flower but I've never heard of them going to seed underwater.

I have 4 anubias growing on a rock in the center of my tank that looks like it's about to send up flowers. I think it's that time of year.
    75G Planted Blue Themed Community Tank:
    Neon Tetras, Blue Platties, Blue Guppies, Blue Snails, & a pleco
    with 4 hang off breeder tanks for Blue/Red Platty Project

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for looking at my pictures! - gabbyguppy   Here's a Calvus for you untill you get the real thing! - Brookfish   thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat   Thx for the rep - kingkarter   You made the nitrogen cycle make sense LOL - jessfish   

0 Not allowed!
    My anubias is quite mature as it was given to me by a friend several years ago, and it seems it is always flowering in one part or another. If I want to make more plants, I just break or cut mine somewhere along the "backbone" of the plant. I haven't had babies spring up from the flowers (have never seen it go to seed, the flowers just wilt and decompose if not pruned off), just by me dividing them. I don't know if this is the "recommended" method or not, but it has worked for me so far. Good luck and congrats on the flowers, they are beautiful!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    The flower stalk will not produce a plant. They develop seeds like most plants do. As mentioned above, if you want a new plant, cut the rhizome with a sharp blade, be sure both peices have roots and leaves.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNic
    Unless I'm wrong Anubias will only seed if the flower is above the water, and even then I believe it takes two flowering plants and insects to put the pollen in the correct places. I'm not sure that pollen in the water is enough to pollinate the flower. I've seen a number of people have their anubias flower but I've never heard of them going to seed underwater.

I have 4 anubias growing on a rock in the center of my tank that looks like it's about to send up flowers. I think it's that time of year.
    My Anubias has flowered twice underwater in my 40 L tank.