· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Sound proofing a cabinet with a canister filter in it

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with sound proofing a canister filter. I currently have my canister filter in a cabinet under my 180 gallon fish tank. I have already hanged carpet inside the walls in the cabinet, but that only helped just a little bit. It seems that most of the sound the canister is producing is low frequency sound. I think I am going to build some kind of structure around the canister filter to block the low freq. sound coming from it. Anybody have any suggestions on material I should use? Or any other tips?

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe the stuff they use in cars with large custom speakers?
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Whatever you use will need to be installed in layers.
    Layers of most dense board or fabric will stop the noise.Foam underlay works!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would use the the foam that looks like an egg carton shape wise. Like the foam that some people put on top of a worn mattress or maybe some 1/4-1/2 inch Styrofoam on the inside of the cabinet. I wouldn't cover the filter with anything as it could affect the temp and the motor might run to warm.
    55gal Planted community
    12 Neon Tetras
    5 Kuhli Loaches
    3 Otocinclus
    2 Siamese Algae Eaters

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of canister are you using? I use Fluvals and they don't make a sound and others report the same with their Rena's so I'm curious.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah realy, I also use fluvals. you can get (2) fluval canister filters for only 230 bucks each and they will be your best bet.

Awards Showcase

For your generosity! - Sir Tristen Thanks! - Wild Turkey Because your cool :) LOL - lovleeko Thought you could use some good algae. Is there such a thing. LOL - lovleeko stocking Rams - Algenco 
    reducing my stock - Algenco don't want to be overstocked - Algenco More algae for your BN's - toddnbecka Something for your tank,  and for being a good sport. - Brookfish Congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins 
    Happy Easter! - Northernguy thanks for the help and the encouragement - mommy1 have a happy easter banana - mommy1 thanks for the rep, sorry it's late! - lucyinthesky You need another! lol - Northernguy 
    Congrats on your award! - Brookfish for all the encouragment - mommy1 Glad the surgery went well!!! - Gayle No Message - mommy1 Glad you came through the op ok mate! - Brookfish 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - bushwhacker 

0 Not allowed!
    i've got 2 rena xp3's that are dead silent
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
    RIP Roscoe. We will meet again Bug.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My two Cents, i have 1 Rena XP3 on my 46 gallon bow front tank and it is just out in the open see picture. it makes no sound at all.
    P1090747a.jpg

I also have 2 Cascade 700's on my 150 gallon tank, they are in the stand and make little to no noise.

If you are looking for a material to sound proof with i would use either Dyno Mat (that is what they use in car audio) or i would use fiber egg crate like the ones they use in cheep studio setups to dampen noise. If you incase the filter i would put a small computer style fan in there to keep ambient air circulating around the filter.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dynomat is the stuff you're looking for that they use in cars. I used it to stop a lot of vibrations for my subs in my car. Most cars actually have it under the car to reduce road noise. Look around in car stereo stores for the stuff, it works really good for vibrations and low frequency stuff .

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Carpeting.