· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Problem, Have A Gift Yourself! :) - MCHRKiller   You like horses and kids movies you must be a kindred spirit - Owlbehere   Anotherone for a great tank - Cliff   It goes round and round and round...  : ) - gadget228   It's a Thanksgiving bunny. - gadget228   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - AmyLynn   

Default Best way to feed vals?

0 Not allowed!
    Just put new plants in the 5 gallon betta tank. Some Italian(???) vals, a couple of small bunches of red ludwigia, a large anubias that I broke into 4 separate pieces and a small anubias nana 'petite'. The vals are currently looking a little yellow. I'm sure partly they need to acclimate, but I was wondering about fertilizer for the. They are currently planted in sand and I've dosed the tank a tiny bit of flourish and flourish excel. Would they benefit from a bit of iron as well? Or possibly root tabs?

75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta
    Lack of planning on your part doesn't justify an emergency on my part.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    The excel could be causing them to melt, excel and vals dont mix well. But the best way is to give them some root tabs especially in plain substrate and dose Flourish comp weekly. If they still show signs of deficientcy bump it up to twice a week with the Flourish. If that still isnt cutting it(usually only in heavily planted tanks) then I would dose some Potassium and Nitrogen twice weekly as well.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Problem, Have A Gift Yourself! :) - MCHRKiller   You like horses and kids movies you must be a kindred spirit - Owlbehere   Anotherone for a great tank - Cliff   It goes round and round and round...  : ) - gadget228   It's a Thanksgiving bunny. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    So, a water change to remove some of the excel. Dose only with flourish comp on this tank and add some root tabs. Sounds easy enough. Luckily they were cheap enough that if they die I won't cry too hard. LOL
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    lol, Vals are finiky...once established they will run your fish out of places to swim. But never do any preventative bleach dips or dose with any carbon additives...theyll melt for sure. They still look pretty good, so the WC should fix em.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yay! The betta is loving them even now. Hopefully for his sake I can save them.
    75 gallon planted
    5 gallon planted betta