· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the fry! - Brookfish   

Default RO Unit For Discus Tank

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking into getting an RO system for my discus tank and would like some input from someone who has used one. I found these two different ones on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/REVERSE-OSMOSIS-...item439ca32b16

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aqua-Reef-RO-DI-...item5885a81784

The first one is only an RO system only. After reverse osmosis the water should be around 20 ppm so that would be good enough right?

The second one is RO/DI and if de-ionization is necessary is this one ok? i know it's probably not one of the best aquarium brands but will it do the job?

Thanks for any input!
    125 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon EBJD tank

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    No need for an RO unit when keeping discus. They will do just fine in pretty much any kind of water. Modern discus are light years ahead of their 80's and 90's counterparts which were a bit more touchy...

-Ryan

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome aboard! - Mith   No Message - domjd05   Awesome Discus! - Brookfish   already an asset to this forum! great! - Crispy   Have a Blue Discus! - Agassizii   

0 Not allowed!
    I think it would be important to know more about your water parameters first before investing in an RO unit. RO units may be needed for breeding purposes.

What is your:

pH
    gH
    kH
    TDS

Are you on city water or well water?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    I used to feel the same way with my discus, but after putting those same discus in the display tank at work which gets RO I can say that it does make a difference. They still evolved for hundreds of thousands of years in some of the softest water on the planet, you just can't undo that. Most breeders do the same thing. One we get discus from breeds them in 4.6 pH. using RO water and an acid doser. The ones I thought were fine and thriving (and they did do very well, even laid eggs) are doing much better in RO water (actually getting fry in the display tank).

I think this situation is very similar to that of water parameters with African rift lake cichlids. Yes, they will do very well and even thrive in almost any water, but they DO do even better when you match their natural water parameters. And in my opinion if you can do better, you should.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm on well water and my parameters are as follows:

pH: 7.7
    gH: 16
    kH: 10
    TDS: around 270 according to TDS EZ meter

My discus are happy and healthy but I would like to try to breed them eventually. I've got juvies/sub-adults in the 55 gallon and I'm thinking of using an RO system in there to promote breeding. The 125 gallon is essentially just a show tank with adults so wouldn't necesarily need to use RO on that. Thanks!

Steve
    125 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon EBJD tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    I would use RO, at least a RO/tap mix.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, that's what I was thinking. I'm new to RO systems so let me make sure I understand it right. RO will get the ppm down to about 20 and the DI takes it from 20 down to around 0. Isn't 20 ppm good enough? Do you really need the DI part? It would save about $20 for the unit plus the cost of the DI filters that would need to be replaced down the line. If I went with a 50/50 mix the TDS should be 145.

Next question: so the RO will bring down the TDS but how can I estimate what gH and kH will be? As far as I understand there really isn't a direct correlation between TDS and gH/kH. Does anyone have any personal experience about how much RO systems bring down gH/kH?

p.s. this is the unit I'm looking at right now http://cgi.ebay.com/75GPD-AQUARIUM-R...item439b682b1d
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by fishduded82; 02-19-2010 at 02:41 AM.
    125 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon EBJD tank

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I understand that discus will do fine in just about any type of water, stability is more important. But I have some young discus that I would eventually like to breed. Don't you think using RO water would give them better spawning conditions?
    125 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon EBJD tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not a discus guy but I'm familiar with RO/DI.

I'm new to RO systems so let me make sure I understand it right. RO will get the ppm down to about 20 and the DI takes it from 20 down to around 0.

A decent RO membrane will remove 95% of TDS, which in your case would reduce the TDS of 270 down to about 13ppm. A quality RO membrane will remove 98-99% of the TDS and reduce 270ppm to roughly 3-5ppm.

The DI portion, if utilized, would reduce that remaining TDS to 0ppm (the lower the ppm of the RO water the longer the DI will last).

so the RO will bring down the TDS but how can I estimate what gH and kH will be? Does anyone have any personal experience about how much RO systems bring down gH/kH?

Those parameters (kH/gH) would be extremely low (less than 1dkh, or lower than what could be tested for) after the RO and non-detectable with RO/DI.

Due to its purity RO or RO/DI water would have to be reconstituted with something such as tap water or Seachem's Discus Buffer or a similar product to be suitable for aquarium use.
    Last edited by kaybee; 02-21-2010 at 06:06 PM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks kaybee, that's good info. So I think I'll try just an RO unit. I was planning on mixing with tap water, keeping the gH/kH between 1-4.

As for Seachem's Discus Buffer, I believe that's a pH buffer? Because I don't really want to mess with pH swings. I really wouldn't need an additive as long as I'm consistent with my mix of RO and tap water, as long as the pH, gH and kH are within a level that promotes breeding, right?
    125 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon Discus tank
    55 gallon EBJD tank