· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how big a tank?

1. Default how big a tank?

0 Not allowed!
    how big of a tank would a teacup ray need? im not talking gallons, i mean area of the tank bottom. any info would be great.

75 gallon freshwater, 1 pleco, 1 pumkinseed hybrid sunfish, 1 crayfish, 1 sengal bichir,1 convict cichlid.
    45 gallon-ball python-20 gallon-honduran milk snake. 35 gallon-black rat snake
    10 gallon-black rat snake
    90 gallon reef tank
    10 gallon, 2 darters, 2 cory cats
    come over and count all the scales at my house some time!

Awards Showcase

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy Merry Christmas - Northernguy Happy Birthday!!! - Jill For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20 
    Sorry about your rat. - cer for giving a sick rat a great life - frank_zappa so sorry about JR. - gabbyguppy This one is best! - Agassizii thanks for the motm nomination! - Lab_Rat 
    To another Scotty fan,thx for chatting. - smaug Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Sorry about Blaze - Rue thank you very much. - smaug 1 year at AC! - Northernguy 
    Thanks for all the help lately i really appreciate it. - octoxpuss cause  your  good - bushwhacker For the Camden Aquarium tour! - Rue Happy Easter! - Northernguy 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos 

0 Not allowed!
    By teacup ray are you talking about Potamotrygon reticulatus? A lot of stores lable any small ray as 'teacup' regardless of species or adult size. I really cant help you out on size. My plan if I ever got a ray was to use something like a baby pool, lots of floor space.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah i agree with anna my thought was a larger childs pool

my two favorites in my life.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you have never owned a ray,"tea cups" or reticulated rays are not a good choice for your first one.It is very difficult to get them to eat,and are not recommended for beginners.Once you get them to eat,they are no more difficult to keep than any other ray.But because they are so picky about eating,they often get diseases,and die.

With that said,the bare minimum for a retic would be 48"x18" foot print.But remember the minimum tank size for a fish means the maximum amount of work for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good pount. but if i could get it to eat, a 75 wide would be suitable? or a 90? rays have facinated me for awhile, and so i want to know all i can.

75 gallon freshwater, 1 pleco, 1 pumkinseed hybrid sunfish, 1 crayfish, 1 sengal bichir,1 convict cichlid.
    45 gallon-ball python-20 gallon-honduran milk snake. 35 gallon-black rat snake
    10 gallon-black rat snake
    90 gallon reef tank
    10 gallon, 2 darters, 2 cory cats
    come over and count all the scales at my house some time!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    90 would be better.Adult females discs get to be around 15 inches,and they can get to be around 20 to 24 inches in length.Males stay smaller.
    If you try this,get one at a store,and make sure to see it eat something before you take it home.Frozen blood worms,or market fish or shrimp.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IMO rays should be in tanks with a width that's three times their own length, and a tank length of at least six times their own length.

Preferably a lot larger.

Rays are best suited to custom built ponds or large kid's pools.
    A severe lack of trichogaster.

Just because your Gourami is sick does not mean it is always Iridovirus, DGIV, Gourami Disease, et cetera.
    Look at all the other factors in your tank before coming to this conclusion.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunfishman
    good pount. but if i could get it to eat, a 75 wide would be suitable? or a 90? rays have facinated me for awhile, and so i want to know all i can.
    A 90 is just a tall 75...which does no good at all.

Reticulated (teacup) stingrays are very difficult to keep. As said above...they are not a good beginner ray and they can still get quite large, even though they are one of the smaller rays out there. I would consider a 6'x2' tank to be the bare minimum for an adult female Reticulated stingray as they do get much larger than the males. A male may work in a 150. If you do get one...live black worms are their weakness!
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Considering they are such large waste producers,the extra water of a 90 will do quite a bit of good.The foot print,as stated,is the bare minimum,and not a good idea IMO.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar
    Considering they are such large waste producers,the extra water of a 90 will do quite a bit of good.The foot print,as stated,is the bare minimum,and not a good idea IMO.
    You are correct to a point, but heavy filtration and adequate water changes will do the most good. I wouldn't rely on water volume as a substitute for good husbandry (not that that is what you're saying). These Rays are very sensitive and demand the best care possible. I kept a Retic for several years and the thing drove me crazy in the beginning...I didn't fully understand their care requirements and the ray would go off feed every once in a while. A couple big water changes would do the trick...eventually I saw the pattern.

My best personal advice:
    Choose a fish that is of a good weight - ie make sure you see no pelvis or rib bones.
    Do regular 50% water changes
    Provide heavy filtration
    Do not keep it with aggressive tankmates (including ones that would outcompete the ray for food) - No Pleco's either.

Hope this helps.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii