· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cause you cory is probably lonely. - Scrup   Keep your chin up! - Kazenouta   Gourami-ness - Zilla   Happy Easter - Zilla   Congrats on the betta and the boyfriend! - wolf_eyes   

Default Plants similar to frogbit?

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone know of a floating plant similar to frogbit, with the large lily-pad looking leaves, that doesn't have the open air preference that frogbit has?

I really like the look, but I have a fairly enclosed hood system, and was wondering if there was a decent look-alike replacement.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm afraid all the commonly available floating plants need an open-top tank, or one with a lot of ventilation, in a warm room, plus bright light, to thrive (save for duckweed, which will grow in any light). Ludwigia helminthorrhiza would be what you'd be after for a frogbit-like leaf shape, but it isn't an easy plant to find.

Dave

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cause you cory is probably lonely. - Scrup   Keep your chin up! - Kazenouta   Gourami-ness - Zilla   Happy Easter - Zilla   Congrats on the betta and the boyfriend! - wolf_eyes   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmmm. I have all of that except for the open-top tank.

I can actually take half of the hood off easily enough, but that's the part with the light in it. Maybe I can fiddle with some DIY lighting.

Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I have a pretty high Watts per gallon ratio on all my tanks but I grow Frogbit, Dwarf Water Lettuce, and Duckweed like mad. I throw away tons of the stuff every week or two. I don't have much of a gap between the water and hood and have no trouble with 'em.

Red Root Floaters is another popular top water plant... and I can't think the other one that looks very much like Frogbit... sorry...

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkazmo
    I have a pretty high Watts per gallon ratio on all my tanks but I grow Frogbit, Dwarf Water Lettuce, and Duckweed like mad. I throw away tons of the stuff every week or two. I don't have much of a gap between the water and hood and have no trouble with 'em.

Red Root Floaters is another popular top water plant... and I can't think the other one that looks very much like Frogbit... sorry...

Sark
    Really? Currently, the gap between water and hood is around 1-2 inches. And the flappy hood lid thing I usually leave open.

Perhaps I just need to change my bulb out. Incandescent, and I'm at about 2watts per gallon.

Was considering changing it out to a compact flourescent, and perhaps up it to 3 watts per gallon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I use GE 6500k "Daylight" CFL lightbulbs in clamp light housings. The bulbs run about $8 for 26W (100W equivalent) and they come in two packs. I advise staying away from the 20W size as I've had bad luck with them burning out for some reason.

If you have an incandescent hood and need a longer, thinner bulb like the tubes in standard hoods of that type you'll probably have to go with the Lights of America bulbs sold in WalMart's pet dept. They're about 9 or 10W and are in the neighborhood of 6500k and about $5 each.

Sark

EDIT: an older pic of what I've been able to do with these lamps...

Last edited by Sarkazmo; 01-26-2010 at 02:30 PM.

10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Gotcha.

I'll be lighting a smaller tank, around 5-6 gallons. The fixture itself has a deep well, so it doesn't have to be thin, but I believe it does need to be shorter.

I'll look into if GE makes any with a smaller wattage.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Allrighty. I snagged a CFL that would fit my hood. Coralife Colormax 10 watt.

It says its full-spectrum, but I'm not seeing a "k" rating anywhere on the box.

It does seem brighter. It's definitely a different look.

As an aside, I noticed that ever since I put frogbit in the tank, I've had a lot of bubbles on the surface.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaethe
    Allrighty. I snagged a CFL that would fit my hood. Coralife Colormax 10 watt.

It says its full-spectrum, but I'm not seeing a "k" rating anywhere on the box.

It does seem brighter. It's definitely a different look.

As an aside, I noticed that ever since I put frogbit in the tank, I've had a lot of bubbles on the surface.
    That bulb is great for plants but I hate it. I have one, it was the first plant CFL I bought and everything looked pinkish purple. I love purple but not my whole tank, heh. The GE's that I use produce a very bright white light, very much like sunlight.

That said, I am glad that it's working out for you. If you like the looks then you should be very happy with the outcome. Good luck and let us all know how it turns out.

Sark

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I saw the pinkish bulb. I didn't buy that one. The one I bought was in a blue/black box.

It casts a white / blue(?) light of sorts. It's different. Still deciding if I like it :)

Now, I'm trying to decide if my painfully soft water (less than 1 gh and kh) is also causing an issue with the frogbit.