· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New year! A fish for your AC Tank - Northernguy   

Default Tail standing vs. swimming vertically?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,

I was just reading about "tail standing" (fish swimming with nose straight up and tail straight down) and I'm not very familiar with it. Apparently it's a sign of disease in fish.

My betta has been swimming vertically (sometimes hovering near the surface looking at bubbles with his nose pointing straight up and drifting along on the current) but he is perfectly capable of righting himself and swimming parallel to the ground as well. He just seems to choose to sit like this and float in the water sometimes. He has no trouble swimming

So to confirm, is this just a normal behavior or could it be "tail standing" and a cause for concern?

Thanks!
    "We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice." - Mamoru Oshii

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Are keeping up maintenance,water changes,filter cleaning in old tank water?
    Have you tested lately?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I test ammonia daily (the tank is NOT cycled, so I like to keep an eye on it) and I test nitrites/trates weekly. All levels are at zero.

The tank is 5 gallons and we run the filter with an ammonia absorbing cartridge. When I first started up the tank, I made a note of how long it took for the filter to stop absorbing ammonia, and I now change the cartridge about a week ahead of that point.

I do a 25-50% water change each week, and the tank is heated to 79-80 F.
    "We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice." - Mamoru Oshii

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds pretty normal to me. My guys will do that at times. They can be nutty little fish.

Why niot remove the ammonia absorbers and just cycle the tank? Save you money in the long run.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rich311k
    Sounds pretty normal to me. My guys will do that at times. They can be nutty little fish.

Why niot remove the ammonia absorbers and just cycle the tank? Save you money in the long run.
    Good to know. It seemed harmless enough (like he was just choosing to swim that way) but I wanted to be sure. They're definitely little characters!

As for cycling the tank, I tried with it once (fishless), but it seemed unstable and ending up losing it's cycle - I think it was a PH crash. I might try a fishless cycle again though since feeding bacteria is more economical than ammonia chips!

Just so that I'm clear for the future, what would tail standing look like? Is it when the fish is swimming with their nose up and they're not able to right themselves, or they struggle to swim horizontally?

Thanks for your input!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    If he was twirling and fighting to right himself, you would need to be concerned.